If you could speak to your former self, what would you say?

by LoveUniHateExams 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Theburstbubble
    Theburstbubble

I'm afraid even if I could've talked to my former self she wouldn't have believed me! The individual is only ready for change when they are ready

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

This stuff looks nice but its all fake when you really dive into it. These people aren't that nice. And you have this weird feeling in your stomach for a reason. Do what makes you happy man.

• Simon
    Simon

Have confidence in yourself: you have figured it out, you are right.

Also, children can't be convicted for kicking elders in the nuts. Go for it.

• Saename
    Saename

Research child sexual abuse policies in the organisation. There.

That had the most impact on me—if only had I learned earlier...

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

This may not have anything to do with the topic other than that she was a JW.

Gail, a 21 year old beauty. I was 21 and we were looking into each others eyes. A long look that still gives me goosebumps. What would I have told myself?

" Kiss her, you fool." Oh, we were at a circuit assembly in Saskatoon in early 70's. It may not have gone over very well at the time, but, boy, I sure would have a better memory than just a long look into her beautiful eyes.

• steve2
    steve2

Do exactly what your JW grandparents tell people in other religions to do:

Carefully scrutinize my JW beliefs - and be not afraid to do so because (using the reasoning the organization used back in the 60s) "if you have the truth, you have nothing to fear from such scrutiny, and if you do not have the truth, you owe it to yourself to find out that your beliefs are false."

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

Learn about logical falllacies.

Research the age of mankind.

Look up all sources in the evolution/creation blue bullshit book.

Get the F away from these ignorant, lying bastards.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I just wish I had been taught philosophy and understood the value of skeptical thinking before I first went to a JW meeting at the age of fourteen.

• dozy
    dozy

To my late teenage self who strongly suspected it wasn't "the truth" but had nothing tangible to build on - there's a book called "Crisis of Conscience" written by an ex GB member. It confirms everything you subconsciously knew about this religion (and more ) but were afraid to ask.Don't tell your parents - find it in a bookshop or library & read it. Fade quietly from JWs - quit your crap job & go to university like you always wanted to do. Don't waste your next 25 years in a cult or in poor unfulfilling jobs.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Go buy microsoft, apple, google, facebook, amazon and lots of other stocks would be my advice to my earlier self

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit