Sexual abuse and Jehovah's witnesses- the gift that keep on giving

by wannaexit 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

Thank you for the updates, Earnest!

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Earnest, I appreciate your accuracy in calling out the change of policy. It is true that the policy has changed but it still allows the JC to make some decisions on their own despite their lack of qualifications. They often make judgement calls that reflect lack of proper training. In my dealings with the Branch, their legal advice directed the JC to take the minimal action required by law with no regard for the victim.

Where CSA is concerned, JWs need to call the police and let the police sort through the CRIME. Police are the legally designated entity for dealing with this type of CRIME, and they have resources for determining guilt that JC's do not have. As well, they have trained personnel that know how to assist victims without re-traumatizing them.

Then, based on the findings of the police, the JC could act accordingly with the accused. I am certain that a chimp with half of his brain tied behind his back, could re-write the WTC policy to make it legally correct and helpful. So why are they struggling still? They seek to shield pedophiles who might cut a deal with prosecutors by naming other pedos, unraveling the whole thing.

It is known to law enforcement that pedophiles often know other pedophiles. WTC fears that they will rat others out and the bread crumbs will lead back to Bethel. When a judicial committee calls Legal, there can be long waits while the attorney searches - searches for what? They are supposed to be state experts, but they are conducting other searches. The meta data they have for the 3 databases helps them find links between people. I have long suspected that they are looking to see if relationships might be exposed. The bad advice they have been known to give were rookie mistakes - or were they? Perhaps other former elders could weigh in.

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

Wow. I knew a son of one of these guys.

• Earnest
    Earnest

ThomasMore, I have seen no evidence that "they seek to shield pedophiles who might cut a deal with prosecutors by naming other pedos" or "WTC fears that they will rat others out and the bread crumbs will lead back to Bethel". I think that's ridiculous. The instructions in Shepherd the Flock of God, April 2022, 14.4 are :

... the congregation will not shield any perpetrator of [child sexual abuse] from the consequences of his sin. The congregation’s handling of an accusation of child sexual abuse is not intended to replace the secular authority’s handling of the matter. (Rom. 13:1-4) Therefore, the victim, her parents, or anyone else who reports such an allegation to the elders should be clearly informed that they have the right to report the matter to the secular authorities. Elders do not criticize anyone who chooses to make such a report.—Gal. 6:5

Why are the elders not instructed to make such a report themselves? Sometimes they are, as they have to call the Legal Department when they learn of an accusation of child abuse. But when it is not required by law, there are other considerations. Note what the Report of the Independent Inquiry into Child Sexual Abuse (released in October 2022) said in its discussion on striking the balance in mandatory reporting (F.6.80-85) :

85 In the delicate balance between the need to provide an individual child with confidential advice and support (whether medical, psychological, legal or social) and ensuring child sexual abuse is prevented, it is essential to recognise that there are some circumstances where privacy ought to be protected and some where prevention is paramount. One important example is in the context of consensual, non-abusive relationships between young people.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Note: A resource for Independent Sexual Advisers (ISVAs) Working with victims and survivors from the Jehovah's Witnesses Community Download Booklet LimeCulture has launched a resource for Independent Sexual Violence Advisers (ISVAs) as part of the National ISVA Co-ordinator (NISVAC) Service pilot in the United Kingdom. The NISVAC Service has been working in partnership with advocates […]

Read more of this post

https://avoidjw.org/education/limeculture/

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

Ernest, what the KS says to do and what actually happens in a CSA case are often very different. i could cite numerous cases but I am not ready to go public - yet.

in many high profile cases, Legal and the Service desk tossed the KS directions and took the route of damage control instead. You don’t have to believe it - that is your right and I respect that. I speak from real experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit