Nisan 14 or not?

by LostintheFog1999 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• LostintheFog1999
    LostintheFog1999

If Jesus Memorial meal is meant to follow on from the Jewish Passover celebration, would someone explain to me why the Jehovah's witness community are holding their "lord's evening meal" on Tuesday 4th April; when the Jewish community are not holding their 2023 passover until the 5th April 2023?

Doesn't this mean that the Jehovahs have got their date wrong?

https://www.londonworld.com/read-this/passover-2023-what-is-passover-dates-and-greetings-4091833

• carla
    carla

Don't they always have it wrong? someone once explained it to me but it is lost in the nonsensical files of my brain. Hopefully someone else can explain.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They use a different formula to calculate Nisan 14, which may or may not coincide with the official calendar. To me, "Nisan" is not even a month--officially, we have January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, and December (in the English language). Nisan is not even among those. And those months we do have last 30 or 31 days each (except February, which is either 28 or 29), not all months having 28 days.

Next, I suppose they are going to try putting everything in the hebrew language. Using hebrew letters, to boot. Anyone else try putting appointments in hebrew, or using Nisan as a month? It doesn't work so well. And besides, are they claiming to be Christian? Then why are they pretending to be Israelites? (Ancient Israelites, to boot. Even if they are in Israel, they are not going to find the Nisan calendar in use, and they are not going to get far just speaking hebrew.)

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Pretty sure the calculation used by jws is, 2 weeks from the first new moon after the summer equinox. If that helps.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

There is a long Post from the incredible "Leolaia" from years ago, you need a bit of time to read it if you search for it, but she proves that they ALWAYS get the wrong day !

Of course, the Gospels contradict each other as to which day Jesus did the "Last Supper" as well, to complicate things, but what a load of fuss the org. makes about NOT really celebrating Christs death ! Farcical !

Other old Threads have shown that even the Passover celebrated by Jews is dodgy as to provenance, there was no Exodus, and Passover "replaced" a former Pagan festival !

• Jeffro
  • smiddy3
    smiddy3

Don`t they get everything wrong ?

• St George of England
    St George of England

JW's calculate Nisan 14 to be 14 days from when they estimate the crescent of the said new moon will be visible over Jerusalem. Needless to say they are often wrong. A few years ago they said the new moon would NOT be visible on this particular day but in fact it was clearly visible both in Jerusalem and also the UK.

The Jews calculate Passover to be on Nisan 15 which they calculate as 14 days from the astronomical new moon which is why Passover almost always coincides with the full moon and the JW Memorial usually does not. This year the full moon is about 06:30 tomorrow (Thursday) but still on Nisan 15.

The Israelites left Egypt on the morning after the Passover, it was still Nisan 14 of course by JW reckoning. In view this I asked an elder to explain the meaning of Numbers 33:3. He told me I think too much which is not good!

For anyone interested it's worth drawing out a timeline of events for Nisan 14/15 bearing in mind the crazy explanation for "between the two evenings". Then ask how long it would take you to kill a sheep, bleed it, skin and gut it and then roast it whole over an open fire. I've never tried it but extrapolating from the time it takes Sis England to cook a leg of lamb in a modern insulated fan oven.........

George

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I noticed that discrepancy too when I searched for the Nissan 14 date on Jewish websites. If anyone has found the link to that Leolaia post I’d love to read it. I see Jeffro has a detailed post on this which I’ll check out.

• Phizzy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit