How the US(and others) will LOSE

by ISP 49 Replies latest social current

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Can't leave till Saddam is sent to the Hague.

CZAR

• ISP
    ISP

Is that after or before Bush?!

ISP

• ISP
    ISP

Black Hawk Hit By RPG - 2 Crash - 12 US Dead By Seb Walker 11-15-3 MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - Twelve personnel from the U.S.-led occupation forces were killed and nine wounded when two American Black Hawk helicopters crashed in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Saturday, a U.S. Army spokesman said. One of the helicopters was hit in the tail by a rocket propelled grenade (RPG), a U.S. officer at the scene said. The helicopters came down in a residential area, although one ambulance driver said there were no civilian casualties. Witnesses said the helicopters collided mid-air. "Initial reports say there were 12 killed coalition personnel in action and nine wounded," said the military spokesman, speaking in Baghdad. He had no details on nationalities of the victims. The two Black Hawks were attached to the U.S. Army's 101st Airborne Division and crashed just after dark. "I know one of the helicopters was hit by an RPG on the tail wing," said a U.S. officer in Mosul, who declined to be identified. Sirens wailed and U.S. soldiers kept reporters away from the scene. A rapid reaction force secured the area and was investigating, military officials said. Local resident Mohammad Badran said the two helicopters collided after an explosion. "I was watching TV when I heard a large explosion," he said. "I looked outside the window and saw two helicopters. One was flying low and was on fire. The other was higher up. The first one climbed and hit the higher one. They crashed in separate areas." FRONTLINE CHOPPER The Black Hawk is the U.S. Army's frontline utility helicopter, designed to carry 11 combat-ready assault troops, and is also used for medical evacuations. The U.S. military said the helicopters crashed in the west of the city at approximately 6:30 p.m. (1530 GMT). Three U.S. helicopters have been shot down in Iraq in the past three weeks for an overall loss of 22 lives. In the deadliest single strike on American troops since the start of the war to oust Saddam Hussein, a U.S. Chinook helicopter was shot down west of Baghdad on November 2, killing 16 soldiers. Five days later a U.S. Black Hawk was shot down near Saddam's hometown of Tikrit, killing all six people aboard. On October 25, guerrillas brought down a Black Hawk in Tikrit, hitting one of its engines with an RPG. The helicopter made an emergency landing and all five crew members escaped before it was engulfed in flames. Insurgents now mounting some 30 attacks a day have killed 160 U.S. soldiers in Iraq since President Bush declared major combat over on May 1. U.S. forces in Baghdad have hit back with "Operation Iron Hammer" for the past three days, using air strikes to destroy buildings they say were used by insurgents. With reporting by Rosalind Russell and Dean Yates in Baghdad

• lastcall
    lastcall

Dakota said:

seemingly desiring the US to fail at the task and allowing despots like Saddam to return and thrive again, what else should we expect? Too many people take only the view presented by mainstream left wing media and accept it as gospel.

In Iraq, the news isn't as bad as some would make it seem, but it is not as good as others would have you believe either. Unfortunately if your looking for great "feel-good" stories to read about war, there are generally less of those. I mean , hello, it's war.

The problem is politicians on both sides of the isle politicize these issues and spin them for their own gain -- Dakota, the stories you may not wish to hear that are coming out of Iraq aren't untrue.

They are happening, and when 20 Italians get killed in a blast..... I'm sorry, but that is going to be the big story of the day, and the fact that Iraqi children are going back to school,and electricity being restored is going to be a couple pages back from that.

That is the reality of war and how it is reported.

Please stop buying into the idea that the "mainsteam" media is biased to the left.

There has always been biases from both sides, unfortunately that is human nature.

The right reaches just as many as the left. The probelm is both spin alot of bull.

Your going to tell me that Fox News is less to the right than CBS is to the left? Wait a second, Fox is "Fair and balanced" right? Riiighhht.

The most listened to pontificator in the nation is Rush Limbaugh! O'reilly's not far behind. Msnbc has Scarborough!

ABC has Jennings"lefty", anybody who watches enough TV can tell after awhile where the heart lies, bottom line: make up your own mind with the facts. New york Times --left, Chicago Tribune --right. Shall I go on? What is mainstream to you?

Sort the facts out of the commentary and when the facts don't match up with what you want to hear, except other possibilities that are evident.

• DakotaRed
    DakotaRed
    Your going to tell me that Fox News is less to the right than CBS is to the left? Wait a second, Fox is "Fair and ballanced" right? Riiighhht.

Sorry to pop your little bubble, but Fox News is a cable channel, one that not everyone gets. ABC, CBS and NBC are broadcast channels and everyone with a TV gets them.

A major problem many face in their assumption that Fox is so right wing is that they are used to the big 3 and their left leaning reporting, depending on your age, possibly your entire life. When we have become accustomed to primarily left leaning reporting, anything towards the center becomes right wing to us.

Sort the facts out of the commentary and when the facts don't match up with what you want to here, except other possibilities that are evident.

Guess you think I listen only to Fox? You are far from correct.

"Feelgood" stories are all over Iraq but go unreported. They don't sell. You get to hear what mainstream media feels is the highest selling story. Blood and gore are high-selling, feelgood isn't. A recent visit to Iraq by Democratic members of the Congress reported the unfair and unbalanced reporting, often with reporters not even leaving their hotels. Are they right wingers now too? Did you happen to catch that report on the big 3? I didn't.

http://www.hillnews.com/news/092303/press.aspx

http://www.zogby.com/Soundbites/ReadClips.dbm?ID=5894

I'm all for just having all the terrorists just promise not to do it again and bringing everyone home anyways. Then, disband the military and place ourselves totally under the United Nations. Take all our leaders out and shoot them down like the dogs they are and have representatives of France make the US a better place to be. Then, pass out bags of pot to everyone and we all just mellow. Even Rush Limbaugh would sound better.

Maybe the world would be better off if we just collected all the caucasians in the US and send them back to what countries they originated from in the first place. We all know there was total peace in the world before the US was formed. All the current problems of the world are totally laid at the feet of white America and their penchant for war and robbing everyone else of the precious natural resources so whitey can misuse them.

• lastcall
    lastcall

Fox News scores big in war ratings

Last Updated: April 13, 2003
    Inside TV & Radio

Tim Cuprisin E-MAIL | ARCHIVE

The ratings news is nothing but good for Fox News Channel.

Nielsen Media Research numbers show that Fox News' morning show, "Fox & Friends," actually beat CBS' "Early Show" during the most recent measured week, March 31-April 6. It was a slim win: 2.9 million viewers for Fox compared with 2.8 million for CBS.

Fox News is getting there. Especially when it comes to this war. Everyone has an opinion about how biased various news sources are. What bothers me about fox is their mantra: "Fair and Balanced", I find it anything but.

I think CBS goes the other way, but I find that, excluding commentators, the news on NBC is pretty balanced. And although Jennings is a liberal, I think he does a fair job.

I don't see "the big three leaning" to the left in their reporting, with the exception of Dan Rather at CBS.

I noticed that you didn't mention talk radio which is by far more conservative, and has millions of listeners. I really think that today, the playing field in that reguard is fairly level.

Guess you think I listen only to Fox? You are far from correct.

I never said that. I can certainly can tell you listen to Rush and Sean, and Bill too!

"Feelgood" stories are all over Iraq but go unreported. They don't sell. You get to hear what mainstream media feels is the highest selling story. Blood and gore are high-selling, feelgood isn't.

Face it, most of what is happening over there is bad. It is a big mess. That mess is to be expected, but you can't go in and bomb the holy hell out of a country and expect alot of good news in the aftermath.

This administration has admittedly made many miscalculations with reguard to winning the peace. Don't get me wrong,war is messy --this is to be expected,but you seem to want the picture to be rosier,and it just isn't, and you can't blame it on some media conspiracy..

I'm all for just having all the terrorists just promise not to do it again and bringing everyone home anyways. Then, disband the military and place ourselves totally under the United Nations. Take all our leaders out and shoot them down like the dogs they are and have representatives of France make the US a better place to be. Then, pass out bags of pot to everyone and we all just mellow. Even Rush Limbaugh would sound better.

Maybe the world would be better off if we just collected all the caucasians in the US and send them back to what countries they originated from in the first place. We all know there was total peace in the world before the US was formed. All the current problems of the world are totally laid at the feet of white America and their penchant for war and robbing everyone else of the precious natural resources so whitey can misuse them.

Huh?.... wait....Okay, now it's all making sense, your poor atempt at sarcasm or hyperbole or whatever just gave you away.
  • ISP
    ISP
    Iraq bombers one step ahead of US
    By Jon Leyne
    BBC News
    alt
    An Iraqi policeman stands in front of a tanker damaged in suicide blast in Musayyib At least 90 people died in the attack in Musayyib
    The bombing of a mosque in the Iraqi town of Musayyib is the deadliest single attack in Iraq for months.

The weekend began on Friday with a day-long series of car bombs in Baghdad that claimed at least 22 lives.

The attacks came as the US was claiming some success in reducing the number of car bomb attacks.

Their campaign was focused in Baghdad, where the security forces have been running an offensive called Operation Lightning for a number of weeks.

Vulnerable areas

It is reckoned that most car bombs are assembled fairly close to where they are set off, to avoid them being intercepted.

So military intelligence officials have plotted the location of the attacks, and carried out a series of security sweeps to find the workshops where car bombs are put together.

alt

The military has also increased patrols of the most vulnerable targets, such as the notorious road that connects Baghdad's airport with the city centre.

But in response, the bombers have changed their tactics as well.

Some suicide bombers are sent on foot, with the explosives strapped around their waists, to attack targets protected against car bombs.

In Musayyib on Saturday, the bomber simply blew up a fuel truck - so there was no car bomb for the police to protect against.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4691181.stm

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

We have a prophet in our midst - stone him!!!

• Spook
    Spook

My thoughts have been that it was obvious enough from the start that Iraq can not be contained or "won" in the jargon of war. Rather, even though I don't buy into conspiracies, I feel it is a middle east wedge where the U.S. is setting up the excuse for a large scale war. How this would happen is to dink around until a large act of terrorism causes the loss of the last shred of U.S. common sense and the fundies get a full scale crusade. A large scale act of terrorism that could be linked (in media or reality) to the aid of another nearby nation would result in escalation beyond ground forces.

At which point I expatriate.

• proplog2
    proplog2

The Chechen War is a good example. The Chechens told the Russians that the only land Russians occupy is the 2 square feet each soldier stands on. There cannot be a war on terrorism. Terrorism is what happens after a war.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit