Remember when you could wear casual clothes to the congregation book study?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    vinman said:3 hours ago
    Yep. In the 70's, early 80's, you could. Heck, I wore a Fender guitar t-shirt.

I wore a Jetro Tull t-shirt at the book study meetings. I don't think anyone knew they were a folk-metal band.

Now that I look back,the book we were studying was
  • NVR2L8
    NVR2L8
    Late 50's until the book study was merged with the midweek meeting, I never wore casual clothes. In fact the only piece of clothing I was exempted of was the suit jacket because the homes didn't have air conditioning. Even as a child, we had the book study in our home and we had to dress as if we were at the kingdom hall.
  • JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I don't really remember breaks, but I think maybe when I was really young. NEVER ever wore casual clothes to any meeting, ever. I remember a debate about what to clean the hall in! It was like we were polutingit if we wore jeans or pants. The only JW attended occasion that I wore jeans to was a youth WT study prep meeting that was soon (in early 80's,thanks Bethel) cancelled. We did that for an excuse to have a gathering after, play games and have treats (there was only treats at one book study night a year if the person whose home it was held in had an anniversary on a day close to the meeting day on Thurs. Then we had a sheet cake or cookies).

• Quarterback
    Quarterback
    In the East of Canada in the early 70's we dressed up, but the West of Canada, in BC they wore jeans, depending on the various cong's. In the 90's I started wearing a nice sweater with my shirt and tie, and my BS became casual. Then a young Elder moved in and complained. He brought it up at an Elders meeting, but he didn't win the argument. We cheated, we wore suit coats over our sweaters, and then took the suitcoat off and sat there with our sweaters. It pissed him off.
  • possum
    possum
    Always modest/modest/modest........................I think WT has a very deep distrust of women....what grown women needs some elder in a polyester suit to tell her to dress? Or are women or scheming Jezebels ready to seduce poor unsuspecting brothers at any time??? very Stepford wives........
  • baltar447
    baltar447
    Never...
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It pays to remember the fact that JWS are preened and shaped to be the WTS sales representatives.

• Simon
    Simon
    He tells me that as I don't have a tie on, he cannot let me read and assigns a sister.

Did the sister have a tie?

I'm pretty sure possession of a penis trumps all in the WTS, even neck-tie wearing sisters.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame
    Must have been a local needs talk because it was never OK to wear jeans to the book study. Casual would mean business casual with a tie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit