Remember when you could wear casual clothes to the congregation book study?

by RULES & REGULATIONS 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    Fun story...before I lead the bookstudy, I once accidentally did not have a tie on (I came straight out of work and the one I normally had spare in the car was misplaced). I am the only brother there, besides the conductor. He tells me that as I don't have a tie on, he cannot let me read and assigns a sister.
  • RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

ShirleyW
    I'm from the Midwest,U.S.A. My family started attending the meetings in 1968 and I remember sitting under the table while the book study was being conducted with an elder and family members being present.
    Then,it was moved to the elder's basement when it grew to around 15 people in the early 1980's. We wore casual clothes at the home book study until a letter was sent from New York. I can't imagine where the local elders decided that they would allow casual clothes at the local book study and not listen the headquarters.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Interesting.... we weren't allowed to! What was the time frame? Last book study I attended was in 1983 I think.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

I've heard about this.

And I heard there were breaks between meetings as well.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

What was the time frame?

1968- early 1980's. As to the breaks between meetings,there was a 15 break between the Sunday public talk and the Watchtower meeting.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Yeeeeeaaahhhh .... we never had those 15 min breaks either. Something tells me South African JWs may have been the überist Dubs of all back then.
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind
    I attended meetings from the1960's until 2006 ...we never got to wear casual clothes, ever . I tried getting away with denim skirts and coulots on book study nights several times . Some areas must have gotten away with it though because I remember letters being read about the dress code . We had two 70 yr old women that always wore pantsuits back in the 80's they gave the Elders a lot of grief ! :) Loved those ladies ....sadly the Elders broke them down .
  • troubled mind
    troubled mind
    We had a small neighborhood grocery store across the street from the KH when I was little 60's-70's. During the break between the Public talk and Watchtower we raced across the street to buy gum and candy . Of course we were constantly told not to do it ... They got rid of the break because so many saw this as the opportune time to LEAVE ,and go home .
  • vinman
    vinman
    Yep. In the 70's, early 80's, you could. Heck, I wore a Fender guitar t-shirt.
  • blondie
    blondie
    Never attended a book study that allowed it but one or two did, a "casual" elder usually conducted. Women could get away with more but had to wear a skirt. The men had less to choose from. jws that went to the KH book study complained that they had to wear formal outfits. I wonder what they would say if there was persecution and it looked suspicious if people came to a private home all gussied up?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit