Are these common jw beliefs?

by Closer to Fine 25 Replies latest members private

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

My understanding of the yoga business was that JWs believe that it is a form of worship (Buddhist??) and that by doing it, you are worshipping a false god.

Funny story. Raised as a JW, I am now Muslim (no further discussion on that is required for this story). My mom knows this. I was living in Cairo and took an exercise class that was (I kid you not) Yoga Belly Dancing. It was fun and good for my core and balance which is something I have problems with physically. I told my mom I was taking it and she isn't worried about the belly dancing, but was concerned about what I was exposing myself to spiritually.

I rejected her religion, both the broadest (Christian) and specific (JW) version of it and she fears my (current) spirituality will be harmed by an exercise class.

In any case, there was nothing Spiritual" about it. It was exercise and relaxation.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Jehovahs Witnesses are very superstitious ,paranoid about the Devil and demons as well as the occult that they believe is just looking for any way they can to influence and take over their members.

Sad but true.

• Chook
    Chook

JWs are superstitious if a woman's hair is exposed toward the sun while wanting to pray in a males presence

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Why do Christians recognize that yoga goes beyond mere exercise and is dangerous?

The objective of yoga as a discipline is to lead a person to being merged with a superhuman spirit. Contrary to God’s direction, yoga involves stopping spontaneous thinking. (Romans 12:1, 2) Yoga can expose one to the dangers of spiritism and occultism. (Deuteronomy 18:10, 11)—8/1, pages 20-2.

Watchtower 2002

Notice how the question has already made up your mind for you. It doesnt ask "Do you think that yoga goes beyond mere exercise? Could it be dangerous?"

• Closer to Fine
    Closer to Fine

Thank you all for your replies. I honestly thought these warnings were coming just because these were uber dubs. Had no idea that these particular beliefs (fears) were so widespread. I would hate to live with so much fear

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

I think a lot is a bastardization or 'chinese whisper' effect on snippets of 'truth' that the JWs are taught, which they expand and attempt to apply in a practical way....

Which is intersting, because, from a JW view point, that in itself can be a danger

Watchtower 15 March 2009, page 30

“Meditating on the fact that the angels are with us in the ministry is a source of encouragement to me,” says Anna. “I value the help they provide under the oversight of Jehovah and Jesus.” What a privilege it is to be able to work with the faithful angels!

becomes

Angels follow sisters when they are out in service. If angels weren't following them, sisters would be getting raped everyday.

Which can be dangerous as JW sisters feel more relaxed to 'take risks' that they shouldn't

Watchtower 1 July 1962, page 415

Questions From Readers: Can Satan and his demons read our minds?

There is nothing in the Scriptures to indicate that Satan and his demons can read our minds or thoughts. Rather, the implication of the Scriptures is that only God can read the mind of man: “Mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is.” Further we are told regarding God: “There is not a creation that is not manifest to his sight, but all things are naked and openly exposed to the eyes of him with whom we have an accounting.”—1 Sam. 16:7; Heb. 4:13.

However, most likely the demons can, because of higher intelligence and better powers of observation, note what is in the mind of man because of his actions and facial expressions. Thus when a man goes contrary to Matthew 5:28 it may be apparent on his face, and so one could tell what is in his mind even though being unable to read it. So they may take advantage of weaknesses that one makes evident and tempt him to sin.

This underscores the importance of right thinking and dependence upon Jehovah. When wrong thoughts enter the mind they should be rejected at once; they should not be entertained, opening the way to sin. (Jas. 1:14, 15) Rather, draw close to God through prayer and meditation on his Word, because in this will be found protection against wrong desires and against the temptations of the Devil and his demons.—Jas. 4:7, 8; Phil. 4:8, 9.

becomes

Don't say your fears out loud because satan can hear you if you speak them out loud and he will use them to harm you.

Which can be dangerous from a JW perspective, because they believe the demons have higher intelligence and better powers of observation.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Yoga is not practised by jw's because it is specifically warned against or prohibited ( same thing) by WT due to risk of demonic influence. Plain Ignorance, it's the association with meditation, breathing exercises and subsequent emptying of the mind opening it up to demonic influence they fear.

Prayers outloud. Not specifically warned against by WT it's just dubs making up scary things to edify themselves.

Angels in service: Another jw urban legend, comes in various forms. Although I've no doubt many a CO has used this one in a talk to delight his foolish listeners, though.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/rapestop.asp

I've heard the Angel Cock-block Rape story from Mormons, Born Agains and even a Sunni Muslim. Urban myth.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

don't even mention "meditation".

• smiddy
    smiddy

dogisgod ,dont even mention "meditation" ........sorry I have to for the benefit of Closer To Fine.,

According to JW`s meditation in any form leaves your brain open to outside influences or to put it another way you open yourself to demonic influences ( Demonic) that will fill the void you leave when you meditate ,(leaving your brain in a vulnerable state open to outside influences ) especially Satan and his Demons.

"You clear your mind and leave it blank ,its an opportune time for the demons to enter it" and take over your body

This is the mindset of Jehovahs Witnesses or it certainly was 25 years ago and I dont think anything much has changed since.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit