Blew it this morning with 4 JWs

by Vanderhoven7 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

So I decided to go hunting for JWs this morning. Walked to the end of my driveway and who should be approaching...but 2 ladies, one old (Dianne) and one younger both with Watchtower mags in hand. Dianne shared how the world was under the control of Satan etc. Then I asked her how she became a Christian. She became a witness in the late 50s. The young one was born in.

As I shared my testimony two elder types (assumed they were husbands) joined us as well. My son, who was watching from the window joined us. My son was warm and friendly and open to dialogue. Unfortunately, I on the other hand went on the attack, explaining rather forcefully that the foundations of their religion were unbiblical. The main elder did not want to hear about 105 year 1914 generation, the 1918 first resurrection etc.

My son encouraged them to come back and the elder said he would. Rudely, I said that I had heard that before and that I didn't believe he would come back to have his faith challenged. They left in a hurry.

My son afterward gave me a lesson in grace and suggested that my multiple attacks on their faith was not the way to go to get them to listen.

He was right. Hope to do better next time.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I think to this day that if you expose the JWS doctrines such as 1874, 1914, 1919, 1975 that they were not biblicaly supported but were rather strategized commercially for a publishing house to propagate, you might have a better chance of Awakening some devout JWS.

Showing that this organization is and has been acting in apostasy against Jesus and his instructions for preaching his new kingdom order.

There is nothing like telling the truth or using the truth and its appreciative strength.

• sparky1
    sparky1

Don't be too hard on yourself, Van. Perhaps your enthusiasm to show them the error of their ways mutated into anger when you found them to be not even the slightest bit receptive? Although I don't share your 'Christian/religious worldview' , I have always found you to be dignified and kind when sharing your ideas here and I respect you very much. Forgive yourself for an indiscretion, learn from your son and move on. "In any given moment, there is more right with you than wrong with you" - Jon Kabat-Zinn

• stillin
    stillin

^^^

what sparky said.

• Ding
    Ding

As a general rule, I think kindness and understatement work best.

However, you never know.

Sometimes you have to whack them between the eyes (figuratively speaking) as Jesus did with the Pharisees.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

Hey V7, don't beat yourself up, I'm an ex-JW and I struggled to keep cool when talking to an elder at a trolley some time ago.

Their abject refusal to reason on anything which discredits their "slave" is how the mind-control works. It's so infuriating, but then again, many of us here used to act like that.

The org has now set the sheep up to suffer the for the sins and failings of the cult.

JW's nowadays cannot and will not be confronted, because they can't defend their given beliefs.

• LV101
    LV101

Great comments ^^^^ and I agree.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    "In any given moment, there is more right with you than wrong with you" - Jon Kabat-Zinn

I like that Sparky, who is he? Never heard of him, sounds like a wise dude. Interesting.

Anyway, Van, you meant well! As did the JW if we're being honest. Just because the Org is hypocritical doesn't mean most JWs are. I find the most effective method is to drop one, or at most two, thoughts/questions/statements of fact. That way they don't get overwhelmed & can remember what you've said later on when they calm down.

• newsheep
    newsheep

Not your fault. We tend to lash out when a reminder of a nightmare is persuading us to come back and be abused all over again (without themselves knowing). At least you have your son. Some of us lost everything. Maybe next time sit back and listen to how your son handles them. Sounds like he doesn't need papa bear's protection.

• AshleyCollins
    AshleyCollins

Haha nice. Your son was right. I get that you might get angry with them sometimes, but really. It is not the way to go. They won't come back (well, most of them, some like the challenge and come back though) because they'll be scared of your indoctrination indeed, and they might think it will be useful, because they will never win over arguing people like you. Really try to do better next time, and show some empathy - you know, they are part of some cult, they are doing and saying what someone told them to. So just be nice. And then let us know, how they listened and were in awe about things they didn't have a clue about

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit