A fresh start

by FormerlySandL 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Hello FormerlyS&L,

First off I'd like to say that despite the already enormous pressure you're under, I admire the way you continued to hang in there during your the not so friendly introduction you had on this site. I'm glad you gave us another try and understood the suspicious reaction (including mine) that your first post was met with. It speaks volumes about you and how you must have been as an Elder. Thank you for realizing that we are a large group of folks who were once trusting but were deceived in a very big way and are determined not to have it happen again. We are in various stages of repair and growth and some of us have a way to go yet.

It seems to me that you are the very kind of person who should be and elder yet time and time again, the good ones, the honest and caring ones, like you are eaten alive by the political bureaucratic aspect of the position.

As bad as things seem right now, can you imagine how it would be if you'd have given in to the pressure to marry and were now, on top of everything else, having to go through a divorce and possibly have children involved? In my case, it was the gruesome loss of a family member due to the blood issue, that started my journey into the Jehovah's Witness no mans land, that we all have experienced. I'm glad you don't have that to deal with in addition to what you're already experiencing.

No matter how many experiences I hear like yours, it astounds me how horrible these supposedly loving people can be to those who's life situation for one reason or another has become in their view less than the cookie cutter perfect image they expect to see. When they see someone like you having doubts, it scares them to their very core. Their beliefs and faith are on shaky grounds and require constant bolstering. They cannot tolerate seeing any sort of weakness in others and will go to great lengths to punish anyone who reminds them of their own.

Anyway, it seems like you've been able to set the initial panic aside and are thinking more clearly and positively about your next steps. I'm glad to hear you've been able to backpedal a little with the elders and buy yourself a more time. This time next year, you'll have grown and gain strengths you never had. In the meantime, I hope the advice you have been given so far has been helpful and that you'll continue to keep us posted as to your progress.

• HappyOutsideTheBox
    HappyOutsideTheBox

angry that I wasted my best years and didn't go on to university or do all the things I wanted to do.

As much as I hate to say it, it has damaged me.

At the moment I don't seem to fit anywhere ....too naive for 'the world' and too disillusioned for the JW's

I feel robbed and wish I hadnt known about 'the truth'

Those words echo pretty much how I (and probably a load of others) feel about the time we wasted. The range of emotions you feel will vary over time. Once you have built your new life with new friends and a totally different mindset - you will look back and be glad you made the choice to leave. We can't undo the past but we can certainly be positive that the future is ours...with no one making us feel subservient!

You sound much more positive today :)

Good Luck

HOTP

• OutsiderLookingIn
    OutsiderLookingIn

Welcome, Formerly S&L!

I've never been a JW...just so you know, we're not all bad ;) A few words of wisdom as you begin your journey:

- Take one day at a time. It's an overwhelming change in worldview.

- You will have to learn discernment. You've already learned JWs aren't all good; the rest of the world isn't all bad and you'll find more good if you're willing to see it. No more broad strokes

- Move forward as it's comfortable for you, not to try to win friends or only because you're trying to rebel. In doing so, it's more than you could do under the WT's thumb--you can decide.

All the best going forward!

• flipper
    flipper

FORMERLYSANDL- Nice to have you here Sandl. Join the crowd of freedom thinking people. I too was born and raised in the JW organization - my dad is a long time elder and I exited not until I was age 44 about 13 years ago. And many of my family members are still in- however out of 8 nieces and nephews aged 28 to 42 ( including my children ) 4 out of the 8 are out of the Witnesses now. Thank god.

I know how you feel when the light comes on and you get your awakening- your epiphany - and the JW blinders come off- it's not easy and it's not a pretty sight seeing how all of us were deceived by a manipulative bunch of old curmudgeons at WT headquarters. But it will get better for you- I promise. The further you get away from the Witnesses the more fresh air of reality you'll breathe and your life will eventually become less complicated. We are here as a support to you my friend. If you ever want to chat I offer my friendship to you. Just PM me and let me know. Hang in there

• Tapioca
    Tapioca

S'NL: Welcome. Rebel gave some mighty practical advice. Take that list and customize it for your own use. You will need to think ahead so that your actions in the present tense will lead you to your future tense goals. Local and regional governments offer the best chance for you to latch on to some higher education/training and you can look up what's available online or check with local agencies or librarians to assist with research.

Many of us had to walk a path that took years to complete, but you will be just fine. We're all here to help you and to challenge you! We want you to be successful at this fading business but it's not for the faint of heart, I assure you! One thing that really helped me was to move away. I tried to move locally, but I was not successful at that time. Then I bided my time, organized myself, and moved some distance away. It was quite liberating.

Your reading older threads and thinking about them will be a consolation for you as you start replacing the false and insincere friends with new acquaintances, new ways of looking at things, and a different outlook. A remarkable journey is just ahead. You got this.

• millie210
    millie210
    Hi and welcome!
  • Fernando
    Fernando

Welcome FSNL.

It is a process.

It will get better.

Best wishes as you take a deep breath, relax and process...

Fernando

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit