A fresh start

by FormerlySandL 56 Replies latest jw experiences

• steve2
    steve2

You could come back with a new user name and no one here would be any the wiser (except perhaps Simon?).

You really don't need to fall on your sword.

We all make mistakes.

My motto when I mess up has long been: "I can always strive to do better next time".

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

I knew you just had to change that name lol..

hopefully over time I will be able to redeem myself

You may have made others do this when you disfellowshipped them as an elder but you won't have to go through that here.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Welcome to the forum, Formerly S&L.

I don't know the ins and outs of the previous thread or of your situation, so I can't really comment on that.

Stick around, this is a good forum - people are allowed different opinions here.

Sometimes posters will post 'unfriendly' stuff, sometimes they will be friendly. Sometimes they'll demand to see evidence, sometimes they won't.

Don't let it bother you too much.

• FormerlySandL
    FormerlySandL

It's not a sudden change.

I was brought up as a witness and did everything that was expected of me. I pioneered as soon as I left school and went to 3 pioneer schools over the years.

All my family are witnesses and I come from one of those families where everybody is related to me through marriages etc.

I left home and shared a flat with a fellow pioneer and served in 4 congregations over the years.

I was made an elder 12 years ago and as you have gathered I am not particularly wise but I was very caring. I tried to do my best for the congregation and was known for my encouraging shepherding calls and offering practices assistance was well as spiritual. I'm not saying that to blow my own trumpet. I was a single man who tried to make up my lack of authority and speaking ability by being good at other things instead.

I got engaged 3 years ago and to save money I moved out of the flat I shared back into my parents.

I soon realised it was a huge mistake to get engaged as we weren't compatible. That's when things started to go wrong. I was doing all I could to delay the marriage date and was getting so much pressure from the CO and the elders. They said it affected my freedom of speech and my position as an elder even though nobody could show me any scriptual evidence of this or anything from the publications which gave a time limit.

After a letter sent to all body of elders asking them to review the positions of the elders I was told I could no longer take the wt because of freedom of speech issues.

I realised that people would rather see me enter into an unhappy marriage rather than end my engagement although some on the body did support me.

it caused huge divisions in the congregation when I ended the relationship and people showed their true colours.

The doubts I had suppressed about the truth began to surface.

The way we were meant to deal with child abuse disturbed me and we had a big case locally that made national news and it was a terrible time.

my main lightbulb moment was in a wt about 6 years ago which said that Jehovah had the ability to look into the future when he first started his creation but chose not to and created us anyway. (That was in contradiction to the scripture that said he looked at the breadth width and height of anything that he created.)

That statement shook me to the core as I saw all the suffering of people down the centuries and I'm being told that he could see that was going to happen if he wanted to but chose not to.It haunted me for example when I saw 12.years a slave and saw what terrible call cruelty people had to endure for years and yet he did nothing to help (again in contradiction to the scripture that said to do good to those you have the power to help).

I also thought the god in the Hebrew Scriptures was petulant and murderous. Killing not just the people offended him but also their families and offspring.

I started to attend less and less meetings and made the mistake of trying to express my doubts. Immediately the shutters came down and any compassion was replaced with irritation and annoyance.

I am now trying to backtrack and play the depression card to buy me some time and limit the damage I've done in previous meetings with them.

So that's my story. I'm marked, have no association with anybody and am avoided like the plague.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

When I woke up 10 years ago, I didn't want to live any more. It took me a few years, but now being a JW is just another part of my past that informs who I am today.

I know it can be unbearable at times, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Hang in there.

• FormerlySandL
    FormerlySandL
    You could come back with a new user name and no one here would be any the wiser (except perhaps Simon?).
    You really don't need to fall on your sword.

i could have done but imagine how it would have looked when people found out. Eek!!!

• Sabin
    Sabin

Hey SL, I think I remember your thread a little, don't sweat it mate. Sorry your on your own, there is a lot of us on here that have been put through that marking shit. The only thing it truly marks is them as a cult. You will have your down days but it gets better. I promise.. There is some really great people on here who you will find encouraging. Keep your pecker up.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Just so you'll know when someone shares serious heartache with us the thumbs up means we understand, or share your pain.

By the way you showed you do have a pair you came back under your name. I hoped you'd do that.

You sounded like the kind of person we wished there were more of in the organization.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This is one of the dire problems with this religious institution, is that everyone has eyes and ears wide open to any dissension. All it takes is one brief expressed sentence and the designated marking come out.

See this time and time again when someone honestly expresses some doubts or problems in the operation of the organization or inquisitive questioning of doctrines, the rocks start coming down fast and the fingers get pointed.

Best to keep these things to yourself, open honest inquiry is practically non existent in this religious cult.

• Giordano
    Giordano

You can play the depression card because I am sure being marked is depressing.

A lot of times I encourage someone to use the JW pedophile issue as there is no way Jesus would have applied the two witness rule to sexual child abuse. If I was still a JW that would be one of those issues that would have caused me to fade.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit