Will the ministry ever resume?

by optimisticskeptic 27 Replies latest jw friends

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

My bet dtd will resume for the November campaign. There are no magazines to speak of to use. Maybe go back to asking each home for their wifi to connect

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Public Ministry to restart... " with the exception of the door-to-door ministry. "

I wonder if they will perhaps stop the D to D forever please ? Oh what a Blessing that would be for the long suffering Public !

I doubt it, they will bring it back in some way, despite the vast majority of J.W's hating it ! most would rather hide behind a Cart, or better still, write Letters, which I find offensive in their first lie , " Dear Neighbour" , when it is from someone I have never met, who lives Miles away, and in asking me to go to their Culty Site !

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Phizzy - " Dear Neighbour"

Most Dubs I know, especially the born ins, have dysfunctional relations with their neighbors.

RB.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I would be surprised if they abandoned the door-to-door ministry, since it has been such a big part of their identity for so long. It is also a way for them to keep track of the membership and get a feel for who is losing enthusiasm.

But they may not have a choice, if they find that people become resistant to it. They could always claim that the spirit has guided them to a new way of preaching, and make it seem like a great blessing that came at just the right time. New light!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Tonus. If?

For years people have abandoned lawn work, closed doors, called friends down the street warning them, sit and pretend deafness. It will be telling to see who chomps at the bit to start again.

• blondie
    blondie

The DTD is really not the important issue. As long as jws keeping anteing up donations, guilted by the WTS, or eventually, a form of "tithing" might be set up, at the congregation level, assigning an amount by publisher and the congregation is responsible, so the elders have to nag the members. Oh, they sort of do that already. Jws are told their everlasting in life in paradise depends on their giving some semblance of trying to save people by their "preaching." Too many jws don't think their god knows what they are really doing, Just so the elders stay off their back. As a scripture in Ezekiel says, (reporting not supporting), "Jehovah has left the land, and he is not seeing."

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Originally, if memory serves, H to H was instituted to give the impression there were more Witlesses than in fact there actually were, by Rutherford, who never went D to D himself !

From then on it was actually a fairly good way of recruiting, until the last 4 or 5 decades, when they kept it going to keep J.W's busy, on the Mouse Wheel. It meant, coupled with Meetings and preparing for them, that most never had time to stop and think about their beliefs.

Even if it tails off in many ways, the G.B will want to keep J.W's very busy busy busy, doing pointless stuff, for the same reason, keep 'em busy ! Keep 'em away from The Truth about the Troof.

• hoser
    hoser

Phizzy:

Door to door sales were the primary way of selling products in the 19th and up to mid 20th century, The Watchtower is only 75 years outdated in its methods.

Vacuum cleaners, encyclopedias, Homeopathic medicine, soap, brushes, make up and Watchtower and Awake magazines were all sold by travelling salesman. In the 1950’s cars became more reliable and roads became better so people could travel to central locations to pick up what they needed. In addition to this the 1970’s saw an increase of women in the workforce so there weren’t as many people at home during the day and the door to door sales method died out. The final nail in the coffin was the internet. You can get whatever you need delivered right to your door with the click of a mouse.

The watchtower organization are extremely late to the game.

You are right though about the busy work. If you keep members so busy they don’t have time to think, they probably won’t leave the organization

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit