JWlite like being a Trekkie. You know it’s fictional

by ExBethelitenowPIMA 21 Replies latest jw friends

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA
    • I now view JWlite like the Trekkie conventions. Star Trek is fiction and all the fans know this full well. But they find it beneficial. I like to think there is a small chance that the Bibles promises do have some truth to them, even though we don’t really understand

exactly the same for those of us in JWlite.

From Wiki - TrekkieConventions are an opportunity for fans to visit "another world...very much cut off from the real world...You can easily forget your own troubles.

• This describes JWlite for a lot of us.
    • The difference is Trekkies know for certain there is no truth to it all in their lifetimes but probably all this technology will have some truth to it in the future.
    • JWlite know for certain there is no truth to most of the foundations like 1914, but probably there is a God or something who may have had something to do with the Bible. Maybe the Bibles promises will have some truth to them in the future or maybe not.
    • but for now it’s so encouraging and up building going along with the fictional world and it’s an excuse to get together and have great friends with a shared interest
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I think even back in the day there were aspects we knew, or at least surmised probably weren't true.

Good analogy.

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

I wonder if things will morph into something that people actually openly talk about, maybe we don’t have full understanding but we love the sound of the Bibles promises.

As you rightly say Doigenesister many are already at this place in their mind. I wonder if there could be a time when it’s openly talked about that we may have the wrong interpretation of the core beliefs but it’s ok even if it’s not true we love being part of the congregation, it’s a shared common interest that keeps us all together.

If we ever got to this place then all meeting parts and comments would change. It would be along the lines of “the Bible promised this and we may not have full understanding like we were wrong about so many things, but it will be interesting to see what happens and in the meantime it’s wonderful to have the hope that the Bible offers”

This is exactly where I am in my mind. I know that there is a possibility that God doesn’t exist but if I firmly leave all my hope behind then I will be losing so much. I don’t want to lose all my friends that share this fiction with me.

It’s like a Trekkie enjoying being a Trekkie and all the meet ups and all the friends who share a common interest. You may not be all that interested in start track anymore but you have such good friendships so you pretend you are still interested. Maybe loads of your friends are the same you and are also just pretending to be still interested in Star Trek as it’s a common thread that you all share.

• Elmer
    Elmer

TROLL!!

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Interesting analogy. As somewhat of a Star Trek fan, I find the concept of a Star Trek convention more compelling than a JW convention. Would I ever go to either? Probably not. I can't sit through even one minute of a legitimate JW talk online, let alone sitting through hours of it.

As for standing around listening to an actor reminiscing about "that time I was playing 'Let's pretend'", I couldn't be arsed!

I went to an Amway EXPO once; does that count?

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Yes same as long time Trekkie not so interested in Star Trek as they used to be, but just love the social aspect.

It’s like a Trekkie enjoying being a Trekkie and all the meet ups and all the friends who share a common interest. You may not be all that interested in start track anymore but you have such good friendships so you pretend you are still interested. Maybe loads of your friends are the same you and are also just pretending to be still interested in Star Trek as it’s a common thread that you all share.

The GB would hate it if they got wind of large numbers compared to Trekkies.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Anybody in this conversation see the irony in calling the WTS “the Borg”? 😏

• ElderBerry
    ElderBerry

In this series of videos Smurf girl says her family went to Trekkie parties with members of the GB. Tony liked to dress up as captain and she claims to have pictures of Star Trek lap dancing

https://youtu.be/vyD64dX5JQc?si=SxAi9qLFxRyq_j8h

lots of COs used to like watching Star Trek in the evenings while being given all the best food and drink.

because the COs watched it, many others would watch it as an example of suitable entertainment and would talk of in the new world jehovah may let us explore other planets. How else could humanity keep having kids living forever and not be overcrowded?

the illustration about going along with it even though you know it’s not true is very fitting and yes the Borg is very apt

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Well…

….I’d’ve had a hard time turning down a lapdance from a green-skinned Orion hottie.

And I can absolutely imagine Top-Shelf Tony imagining himself as Captain Kirk. 😄

• ExBethelitenowPIMA
    ExBethelitenowPIMA

Even in the Trekkie world there are some who are no longer strong in the faith. They are just not as interested as they used to be. So I hear.

The real zealot Trekkies don’t give them are a hard time or shun them, or give them special encouragement to return to Star Trek 🤣

but JWs can now be the same as a Trekkie who has lost interest in what brought them together in the first place.

many JWs stay on as JWlite just for family and friends social club. There is nothing wrong with this.

In fact most religions have majority of members in the light category and JWs are slowly turning into the same

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit