I Can tell by the Caterwauling That's it's Spring in Kansas City

by Robdar 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Robdar
    Robdar

Well, the tomcats are out and making a joyful noise unto the Lord and so it appears that spring has arrived in Kansas City. Now, I am wise in the ways of the kitty, but I do not know why they are all congregating at my house. Unless it is because of my cats. However, all my cats have been neutered and/or spayed. So, what gives?

I have closed and locked my pet doors to keep the strays out of my house. I had a bad situation occur last year where a tom got in and peed everywhere and then ran up and down my walls making some sort of kitty screech. I have never been afraid of cats until that moment. He put the fear of God in me.

Any suggestions as to how I get them off my property? Last night, I had to twice run outside and make hissing noises at one ginger tom. I managed to run him out of my yard but he crouched on the other side of the street and so I lobbed a small stick at him. You would think he would get the message, but no. I am worried about what the neighbors will think if I keep doing that.

Any suggestions?

Love,

Robyn

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Cats are always trying to extend territory, so the fact that your cats are neutered means nothing to the intact Toms. Have a container of water/hose always handy, ready to dump on top of the offending cat. You must be totally relentless and chase them off your property every time they turn up until they get the idea that it is YOUR territory (you are the mother of your clowder, in cat terms), and not theirs.

• Robdar
    Robdar

Stephanus

I can tell that you, too, are wise in the ways of the kitty. Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it and get back to you.

Love,

Robyn

• AlanF
    AlanF

Some people use pellet guns to convince cats to stay away. A bow and arrow works well, too, if you're good with it.

AlanF

• Englishman
    Englishman

In the UK, you can buy dried tiger shit to deter determined moggies from entering your garden.

The idea is that the wayward moggie will take a quick snifter, say to himself: "Holy macaroni! That is one big pussy hangin around, I'm outa here!" and promptly scarper. (Obviously only American cat's think like that. The Brit cats just think; "Goodness me, whatever huge feline has left that awful smell behind".)

Englishman.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    In the UK, you can buy dried tiger shit to deter determined moggies from entering your garden.

When I read this I thought "How the heck do they get THAT through customs and quarantine??" Then I realised it must be from zoos!

Robyn, yes, I have my own clowder of moggies to contend with (all three are mine):

We're in a public housing area, so new people are moving in all the time, bringing their pets with them. The new moggies are feeling a little dispossessed and are keen to compensate for their feelings of doubt etc. by having as many violent encounters with the encumbents as they can possibly start. I've gotten pretty good with the torch (flashlight) and water container, over the years...

• Francois
    Francois

I don't think that just because you've had a female spayed that keeps them from emiting that "come hither" aroma. Pheremones being what they are, Toms can probably detect that aroma from something like 12 miles away in a force 5 hurricane downwind.

I like the idea of putting out something that would overwhelm that aroma and at the same time would send the message "Danger. Wild Animal What Kills Domestic Cats. Here Be Dragons." You know, that kinda thing.

francois

• wednesday
    wednesday

yes i understand.

the vet told me that cats/dogs must be neutered before those hormones kick in , or the neutering will not prevent the undesirable behaviors we all are talking about.

My tomcat once tore a window screen up; put a huge hole in it. He was determined to get out, i was determined he stay in. He won. We have a female who was spayed at a very young age, and she has never shown any of the mentioned behaviors-but he still stalks her during spring time. poor kitty-

We have another male, neutered at young age, and he has no agressive behaviors at all. I think the vet was right, get it done before the hormones kick in.-otherwise-its just birth control.

• Satanus
    Satanus

According to farley mowat, peeing his own boundary markers kept the wolves at bay. I wonder if something like that would work w cats?

SS

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I had all three of my cats fixed two males one female the female had gone in heat three times but the males were fixed very young. Never had any problems but then again mine are Maine Coons and they are very sweet and more like a big cat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit