Almost 60 years ago, The Watchtower made a prediction that has proven to be amazingly accurate.

by Bonnie_Clyde 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I haven't posted for quite awhile, just usually lurk, but thought surely someone would have noticed this on JW.org. This was under the article about distractions. I clicked on the article and below is the "accurate" prediction that the WT made back in 1958. This has to prove they have Jehovah's backing, don't you think? They finally got something right!

5 Concerning distractions, how does the world we live in compare with the world of Bible times? “Never in history has mankind boasted superior means of communication, high speed printing presses, profusely illustrated magazines, the radio, movies, television. . . . They bombard us daily with fresh distractions . . . Not too long ago, it was fondly thought that ours was ‘The Age of Enlightenment.’ More and more it is becoming ‘The Age of Distraction.’” These words were spoken to a group of students in the United States over 60 years ago. “Distractions,” said The Watchtower of September 15, 1958, “will likely increase as this world nears its doom.” How true!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Progress sill increase with time???? Brilliant!!
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    I don't see a prediction in this quote, I only see an observation of what was taking place. Observing the "current" state of affairs takes no effort. It can certainly be done without celestial guidance.
  • 144thousand_and_one
    144thousand_and_one
    I'm convinced! OK, no Christmas this year, kids!
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

There may be so-called 'distractions' but nobody forces JWs to be distracted by them.

What with all the advances of science and medicine, we're still in the age of enlightenment.

Typical WT numb-skullery: choice = chaos.

And comparing today vs Bible times - WTF?!

Depressed or mentally ill people in Bible times were thought to be demon-possessed; a horny teenager who dipped his wick would have been stoned to death ...

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Bit of a weird post, IMO.

WTS has always railed against "distractions," which are anything in life non-WT.

Pre-1985 index:

DISTRACTIONS
    (See also Concentration; Entertainment; Materialism; Study)
    multitude of books: g78 1/22 3-4
    overcoming, when studying: g84 8/8 13-14; w71 71-72; qm 214; w57 469; qm55 214

Post 1985 index:

DISTRACTIONS
    experience of Witness who loved handball: w11 10/15 3-4
    fighting distraction: w92 5/1 20-21
    meaning of term: km 4/94 3
    not allowing to impede spiritual progress: w98 5/15 19; w92 8/1 11
    prevalence of, due to high-tech communications: g 2/10 30
    serving Jehovah without: w12 3/15 17; w09 8/15 28-29; cf 93-94; km 4/94 3-4

• azor
    azor
    Wow. Watchtower the new Nostradomus. I'm gonna go get my tin foil hat now so the powers that be can't read my mind.
  • DJS
    DJS

We have had the 'luxury' of even having distractions for a very short period of time. For most of the 100,000 years humans have existed in our current form, daily life revolved around finding enough food to make it through the night, the week, the winter, keeping warm and fending off those human and non-human life forms that would take it from you by killing you.

Focusing on the distractions brought about by prosperity, leisure time, sufficient calories and much longer lives is such a bull shit argument. Which one of the GB, which one of us, would trade today - or even 1958 - for most of the previous 100,000 years of our existence.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Hardly prophetic! Sorry, but nothing the WT says is ever of any use.

Mental health warning: Watching JW org information can result in damage to your brain.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    I predict in 30 years somwhere it will rain, the sun will rise and set. If this happens you'll know I AM THE CHANNEL FOR GOD!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit