The life they stole from me

by sipho 24 Replies latest jw friends

• sipho
    sipho

Hi all,

I have just come across this website and was amazed to read to many similar experiences to what I went through with the 'loving' congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses. I have now been gone 4 years but after reading some experiences I realise that the pain they caused still remains. I am now quite angry at the way they control your life and brainwash you - I am so glad I finally saw what was happening and got out. My once vibrant personality was slowly being sucked dry but now I am my own person again. My mother was victimized and secluded for the fantastic person that she is. They knocked her down so much, probably because she is on her own and has no big elder husband to get through. When she was recovering from cancer, NO ONE came near, I had to take on all the emotion and worry. Eventurally a sister (married to an elder did enquire to how I was, and when I answered that I was fine but tired, she replied by saying - 'welcome to the real world' and walked away. I shall never forget the love she showed. I almost married a 'brother' and shiver when I think about it - he was a control freak and I would never have had a say in my own life. I have many stories to tell about how I was victimized and talked about, lies spread. I am probably the least offensive person you can meet, I have had a lot of hard knocks in my life, such as a violent father, but it has developed me in to someone who tries very hard to be aware of other people and their sufferings. Since leaving I have gone to University and graduated last year with a degree and I have been with a wonderful man for 3 years - he treats me with the utmost of respect and love and always recognises that I am a person and always encourages me and supports me. However he would be classed as wordly sinner, but I tell you he is worth his weight in gold and flies high in my eyes, way above any of those 'fine' elders. I left the congregation on my own accord and feel really privileged to have got out. My sadness is for those who are too afraid to leave as they know no other and have had their personalities removed a long time ago. I feel sadness for those surpressed wives or for those youngsters who marry so young, knowing no other and I am so aware of the things that go on within the congregation that is hidden, allowing those suffering to suffer in silence plunging them into depression. I am sorry for those who are on their own, who get little support or do not get as included as those with partners and I feel sorry for those with strong and vibrant for life personalities that have them SNATCHED away from them, so that they become empty shells, nodding and always saying and doing what is acceptable.

Thank goodness I have my life back - there is so many good people out there to meet!

• ISP
    ISP

Hey, welcome to the board! Glad you got your life on track! I always like to hear about folks getting out of Dubland and doing well and getting on with things! Hope you make some friends round here.

ISP

• neyank
    neyank

" My once vibrant personality was slowly being sucked dry"

"have had their personalities removed a long time ago. "

Yep. That's the only way the WTS book publishing bussiness can stay in bussiness.

Take away ALL individualality so that there is nothing but an empty shell and fill it with stuff that you want in there.

A cookie cutter system. Just like ALL CULTS.

The WTS exhalts itself above other groups because of its oneness. Its unity.
    They say that they are the true religion because ALL JWs worldwide believe the same thing at the same time.

And just how is this unity acomplished?

Sipho explained it.
    " My once vibrant personality was slowly being sucked dry"
    "have had their personalities removed a long time ago. "

And those that don't follow the crowd like zombies will soon eventualy get out.

So this does prove the the WTS brainwashing system isn't 100% efective.

After all, just take a look at all the diferent exJW boards. :-)

neyank

• neyank
    neyank

Oh I forgot. Sipho, Welcome to the board. neyank

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Welcome to the board Sipho.

And congrats on getting your college degree! And finding love also. I hope to experience both of these things also someday.

I relate to your story in many ways.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Welcome to the board Sipho!

Just one word of warning...finding places like this, and finding out the truth about 'the truth' can sometimes bring out an uncontrollable feeling of anger. That anger CAN be self-destructive. I know that I went through a period of all-consuming bitterness towards the WBTS for the life they had taken away from me. It took a long time to 'chill' and before then the anger I felt was unbalanced and unhealthy - consuming more of my time and mental/emotional energy than it should have. Sure, be angry, but don't give the WBTS too much emphasis in your life anymore.

Get your life back and enjoy it!

Just my 2 cents.

• Eppie
    Eppie
    Since leaving I have gone to University and graduated last year with a degree and I have been with a wonderful man for 3 years

Good for you Sipho! What did you study? Im graduating this year (BSc and will continue from premed to med school), and also have found a wonderful boyfriend, someone indeed with an opinion and more respect for women ever found in a JW. He is very anti-religious though, first I defended it but now start to see his point.

WELCOME!!!!!

I hope to see you around to post the rest of your story,

Eppie

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Welcome to the board! I know what you mean about losing your personality...I said from the get go when I started studying with them, that I had no intention of allowing them to make me "gray" and become just another publisher, another statistic on their Bragadocious Columns of Numbers every January. And the longer I was in, the harder they tried to make me conform...make me cowtow...to break me of being who I am so I could suffer like the rest of those miserable wretches in there. When I finally DAd myself in 1997, the person who had studied with me, someone I lived with, who was my matron of honor at my wedding, and whom my kids called Aunt...said to me "You never DID become one of Jehovahs Witnesses! You were TOO PROUD to put on the 'new personality'! You think you know BETTER than Jehovah! Your independent spirit got you were you deserve to be...under SATAN AGAIN! You always said you didnt want to be "gray" and look where its got you!" just NASTY NASTY stuff coming from her...AND her husband! Yeah...as soon as you dont walk the walk the "loving brothers and sisters" mutate into the fundies from HELL dont they? Loving worldwide brotherhood indeed!

Do your family members who are JWs still talk to you?

• nowisee
    nowisee

hi sipho. i understand what you went through and im glad you're out. better late than never. best wishes and i hope you find many friends here.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    You think you know BETTER than Jehovah!

I'm wondering if she really meant "you think you know better than the WTS ?? Sometimes Dubs seem to get the two a bit mixed up. Bug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit