Russian BOE - congregations told to stop using the New World Translation

by OrphanCrow 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

It appears like the WT's Bible is no longer to be used in Russia. King James Version only.

From this forum:

http://www.jwforum.eu/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19329

Google translate:

The Christian Assembly of Jehovah's Witnesses

April 1, 2017

TO ALL MEETINGS

Theme: Using the Synodal Translation of the Bible in New Conditions

Dear brothers!

From the bottom of our hearts, we want to thank you for your active participation in the campaign to write letters. Your participation in this campaign was a clear testimony of brotherly love in action (1 Peter 2:17). At the same time, we realize that the most important thing that we can do to support our brothers facing persecutions is to offer our prayers to Jehovah for them.(Read 1 Timothy 2: 1--4.)

As already reported, the Ministry of Justice wants to impose a ban on the activities of the Christian congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia. If the Supreme Court of the Russian Federation decides to ban, this will negatively affect more than 175,000 of our brothers and sisters, on their honorable duty to carry God's words from door to door.

Perhaps opponents think in this way to hinder the preaching work, but our main tool is the Bible, and we can participate even more diligently in the preaching work (1 Corinthians 15:58, Ephesians 6:17). Although the translation of the New World has helped us for many years to better understand the truth and carry the message of the Kingdom of God to other people, but in the new conditions that have arisen in Russia, we must start using the synodal translation of the Bible again.

This is necessary to avoid accusations of distortion of God's word from the world of Satan and discourage our opponents until the verdict of the Supreme Court.

Your brothers,

A copy of the district overseers

Note for coordinators of councils of elders.

Please ensure that this letter is read at the next meeting on weekdays, and also at a weekend meeting. Do not post this

**edit to add - I have read this again...maybe this isn't directed to the congregations in Russia...not sure where this was sent to. It is worded as though it may be in surrounding areas...??

• Hecce
    Hecce

Thanks

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

You're welcome, hecce.

I thought some more...and read some more. I think this BOE letter was sent to the Russian Congregations.

The WTS has had a long time to address the charges that they have changed the Bible. And now...a few days before the court hearing, they want to address it? Now they tell the JWs to use the "Synodal translation"?

I had said the King James Version - because I was just following the thread title from the other forum. However, that may not be accurate as "synodal" is this:

The Russian Synodal Bible (Russian: Синодальный перевод, The Synodal Translation) is a Russian non-Church Slavonic translation of the Bible commonly used by the Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Baptists and other Protestant, as well as Roman Catholic communities in Russia.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

I wonder if this Bible has the apocrypha books in it ? I think it does.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Excellent! JW's in Russia are going to see a genuine translation of the Greek Scriptures. Perhaps that will cause a few to ask questions about the differences and do a little research, outside of the Watchtower propaganda machine.

According to Wikipedia, the Old Testament ("Hebrew Scriptures") part of the Synodal Bible is translated from the Masoretic Text. That is a bit of a surprise and a shame, because I thought orthodox Christians tended to follow the Septuagint, which could have further undermined Watchtower theology in the eyes of a very academic JW.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

My Russian isn't very good but from the original forum I'm quite sure this is an April fool's joke...

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Yes, I think you are right, Anders. Darn.

• smiddy
    smiddy

My thoughts exactly dated April 1st ,fools joke.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So can anyone confirm this?

• yoko N
    yoko N

I took it very seriously. I almost share this news to Japanese friends.

April fool stuff is really nuisace to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit