America Mass Shooting: 10/1/2015

by adjusted knowledge 48 Replies latest jw friends

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

RubaDub: The "gun free zone" on college campuses is not practical. We need guns everywhere here in America. Remember, the Second Amendment. Imagine a College Fraternity here in America without guns ... what is binge drinking without a gun to protect yourself if the next guy starts shooting?

The point is that you can pass all the freaking gun control laws you want but it will only keep law-abiding people from having a gun.

There are about an equal amount of homicides with a gun as there are traffic deaths due to drunk driving -- about 11,000 each. (BTW -- there are more suicide deaths with a gun than murders.)

Should we outlaw alcohol or cars?

Doc

• Simon
    Simon
    The point is that you can pass all the freaking gun control laws you want but it will only keep law-abiding people from having a gun.

That's a fallacy. The evidence is that controlling legal guns also reduces illegal guns. Where do you imagine illegal guns come from? The "illegal gun factory"? They are taken from dumb / careless / unfortunate legal gun owners. I guess they are not the protection people imagine them to be.

Gun control protection works like immunization - society is protected by everyone taking part. The problem with the US is that everyone thinks they will have a gun and no one else will. Equivalent to everyone else getting immunized and them not. Except that never works out.

Should we outlaw alcohol or cars?

We have a winner !!

I think you are the first with one of the crazy arguments that is always put forward :)

The fact is that cars are controlled. You need a license. You need to carry insurance. And of course they serve a beneficial purpose in society (compare no of trips with fatalities). They are not the same as guns.

And even if cars and alcohol were bad, what has that to do with addressing the gun issue? Can we only now consider fixing something if we can solve every problem all at once?

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

All other arguments notwithstanding...

...doesn't it seem kinda weird when a vast majority of citizens of a country - any country - actively wants to be armed to the teeth at all times?

• Simon
    Simon
    Only to us that live in non-war zones and outside the US
  • Captain Schmideo2
  • Heaven
    Heaven
    Vidiot said:All other arguments notwithstanding...

...doesn't it seem kinda weird when a vast majority of citizens of a country - any country - actively wants to be armed to the teeth at all times?

I agree. Paranoia will destroy ya.
  • done4good
    done4good

As long as the anti-science, anti-math crowd control the conversation with respect to gun control with platitudes about "liberty", "freedom", etc., it will be difficult to get the message through that the gun violence we see in the USA is a product of probability. Too many are moved by such platitudes as opposed to logical discourse.

Too many guns, and now an extreme right wing that breeds nutcases. This is fertile ground for what we are seeing.

I suppose that the only silver lining in this is that most sane folks, (even traditionally conservative types), are beginning to wake up and realize something has to change drastically.

d4g

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    "Wake up and smell the insanity..."
  • Simon
    Simon

So this clown had 13 guns.

Thirteen !!!

Which "self defence" or "2nd amendment rights" argument includes that many as a requirement?

Surely having more than one or two should itself be a flag - why not have a limit?

Even better, sell special "self defence guns":

The gun has a fixed shot capacity (3 is plenty?) and can only be re-loaded by an authorized dealer where you have to explain when and why it was fired (outside a registered range).

You only need one of them, two at max if you have a special reason.

Your gun is registered to you and the rifling is uniquely encoded to identify bullets fired from your weapon - you are responsible for them so need to carry insurance which will be checked when it is reloaded.

Voila. Whine all you want - your 2nd amendment rights are not affected and you have the right to defend yourself.

Most importantly, you'd need a group of 10+ people in order to conduct a "mass shooting" and no one person will get any notoriety because no news organization will bother listing your names. Good luck arranging that without it leaking out.

Also, a new law will require all news stations to include the phrase "weirdo loser and chronic masturbator" when describing any shooter.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I hope people realised that previous post was tongue-in-cheek.

I live in a fairly rural area in the UK, we have a lot of shot guns here, for peasant errrmm I mean pheasant shooting, they are not carried openly and it is very difficult to use them in a killing spree as you have to reload the cartridge after the cartridge (or 2 if double barrelled) has been discharged.

As Simon pointed out we had a few spree shootings (probably averaging out at 1 per decade) over the last few decades. Two that spring to mind were Dunblain and one quite local to me in Hungerford (a gun nut called Michael Ryan), these resulted in tighter gun control measures which have resulted in an even lower incidence of gun crime.

Bottom line - more guns do not correlate to increased personal safety.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit