America Mass Shooting: 10/1/2015

by adjusted knowledge 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

Rub a Dub

So you need guns everywhere.

Do you need guns in Kindergarten?

Do you need guns for 2 year olds?

Oh wait a minute. Not too long ago there were some 2 year olds who killed their mama or their brother because of playing with a gun.

But wait a moment....

Second amendment....

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

It stands to reason... a country with such easy access to guns, will have more gun-related deaths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_guns_per_capita_by_country

I am absolutely shocked by these numbers. 88% of Americans own a gun! WTF?!?!?!

Meanwhile in Canada:

A license is required to own or possess firearms. Federal government safety course required before applying for a license. Special license required to own pistols. Pistols may only be used for target shooting at a licensed range. Semi automatic firearms have size restricted magazines (rimfire rifles excluded) Automatic firearms not permitted.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Why doesn't the UK have more spree killings like this? In theory with our lack of guns and no way of protecting ourselves the criminals should be massacring our children every day!

The UK needs guns to make our country as safe as the USA,

• Simon
    Simon

We'll hear the same tired and debunked arguments:

• If only more people had guns then fewer people would be shot.
    • Guns makes everyone safer, especially from guns.
    • It's not the right time to talk about gun control after people have been shot.
    • It must be all caused by mental health or immigrants or mental immigrants.
    • Unless a solution can be 100% effective then nothing should be even tried
    • People die from [cars | knives | swings | punches] why don't we ban those first
    • The 2nd amendment means everyone has the right to semi-automatic weapons

Anything but "it's far too easy to get a gun".

• Simon
    Simon

Why doesn't the UK have more spree killings like this?

They had a couple of band incidents 30+ (?) years ago and made sensible changes to prevent repetitions.

US politics forbids doing the no-brainer bleedin-obvious things required to protect people. They can't order more paper-clips without a 50 people committee debating it for 6 months and even then the answer will be BENGHAZI !!!

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

On another note, we know what kind of presentation the Dubs will be presenting this weekend as they go door to door or work the trolleys.

• ILoveTTATT2
  • ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2

This is Steven Pinker's response as to why America is more violent than other countries:

How does the United States compare to other democracies in the Western world?

The United States has a higher rate of violence, partly because large parts of the country were in a state of anarchy until the 20th century. People could not count on the government to protect them. The cliché of the cowboy movies is that the nearest sheriff is 200 miles away, so you have to protect yourself with your six-shooter. When governments did arrive, people were reluctant to hand over their self-protection. And because the first government in America was a democracy, people were able to impose their wishes. In European countries, first the government disarmed the people and exerted its control many hundred years ago. Then the people democratized the government, but by then the government had already established control.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I was working in a university today with the staff, administrators and teachers. I remember thinking how being on a college campus is not without a certain degree of risk. I was aware of that several times today as various folks left stuff in the room as they moved in an out. Getting paranoid. . . or I guess they say its not really paranoid if you are at risk. . . clearly today, I was in a risk zone.

I feel so bad for those people who are sending their kids, husbands and wives off to school today and lost them. My heart is breaking. That population is in such a positive place to grow-and then to have their innocence, if not their very lives shattered is so heartbreaking.

• jhine
    jhine

Cantleave , that is a really good question . Trouble is it isn't " criminals " carrying out these atrocities , it is good ole law abiding citizens .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit