America Mass Shooting: 10/1/2015

by adjusted knowledge 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

mass killing the future - unbearably sad.

Pres Obama offers Britain and Australia as examples of countries that have implemented effective gun control laws and that have virtually eliminated mass shootings.

another fact - in the US terrorism killed five and a half thousand, guns killed eight and half thousand so far from 1970 - 2015.

• smiddy
    smiddy

Another blight on the American dream that the U.S.A, is the benchmark of democracy , freedom , peace , security , for all.

How many more of these tragedy`s are we going to witness before the Government takes firm, decisive action ,to prevent another mass shooting.

American politics and religion have one thing in common , they both rely on ancient , outdated , outmoded laws that have no place in this 21st Century .

smiddy

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM
    Two things drive gun culture in the US: (1) valuing property rights ahead of human life; and (2) taking a negative view of the rest of humanity (fear prevails over compassion). That is why the US will not follow the UK and Australia in relation to gun control - while they have a common heritage they have fundamentally different social and political cultures and values.
  • Zoos
    Zoos

I'm in a tough spot on this issue. While I agree with a person's right to own a gun (I own one too), I acknowledge that beer-bellied rednecks and hot-headed idiots bent on saving Amurr'ca with religion, guns and the Republican party are the types of people who (mostly) go buy these deadly tools.

That scares the $#!* out of me.

I have a gun and a licence to open carry. But the only time I carry my gun out of the house is when I go hiking in the mountains. I do that so that I can make sure I never slip to second place on the food chain. There have been several reports of bear attacks in the area I like to explore and, well... I think second place would suck.

I agree there should be a much higher bar set for gun ownership in this country. To many yahoos with pick-ups are slinging guns around with reckless abandon.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Zoos25 minutes ago
    I'm in a tough spot on this issue. While I agree with a person's right to own a gun (I own one too), I acknowledge that beer-bellied rednecks and hot-headed idiots bent on saving Amurr'ca with religion, guns and the Republican party are the types of people who (mostly) go buy these deadly tools.
    That scares the $#!* out of me.
    I have a gun and a licence to open carry. But the only time I carry my gun out of the house is when I go hiking in the mountains. I do that so that I can make sure I never slip to second place on the food chain. There have been several reports of bear attacks in the area I like to explore and, well... I think second place would suck.

There have been some fantastic posts on this thread. Really likeFrazzled ubm & stephen Pinker has got the historical reasons down pat. I would just like to add Zoos that in the uk you would have a gun no problem, "country pursuits"is the main reason folk own guns in the uk & your exploring would definately come under that catagory - I mean noone would expect you to come a bad second going a few rounds with a grizzly!!(well, in the uk you wont find any bears , we have some bad tempered badgers, but you get the principal). So we do in fact have guns in the uk for many of the pursuits mentioned in the gun threads we get after these tragedies, just really strict laws around ownership.

• jhine
    jhine

Well personally I think that it is jolly bad form that Zoos is not prepared to enter himself into the food chain ! Think of all those starving bears .

Seriously though it is right that in the UK we do have the huntin' , shootin' , fishin' set and the only time Brits see guns is on a Pheasant shoot or the like . Then for most of us that is on Downton Abbey on the TV .

Jan

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So we do in fact have guns in the uk for many of the pursuits mentioned in the gun threads - but Britain doesn't really have a hunting culture. The people who indulge in hunting are seen as idle rich bastards by right-on people.

There has to be much, much stricter controls and background checks re gun ownership in the US. The automatic right of everyone to bear arms must be abolished.

At least the police killed the shooter. I'm glad the bastard's dead.

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass

Anyone have any links showing whether or not this piece of shit had aquired his firearms legally or not?

Most of you I'm sure by now know what my background is. I have stated this before and will again. Firearm laws here in the U.S. Aren't just lax, they're a joke. And this nonsene of politicians pandering to NRA members has to stop.

Too many gun owners demand their second amendment rights based on the conviction that gun ownership will ensure the government will not turn to tyrrany. They espouse how patriotic they are while at the same time voicing their distrust for their own government in extreme scenarios which frankly, make no sense. If this is the "great US, the land of the free, the leader of Democracy", why are they so certain it could turn tyrannical? They already have a weapon available to them which is far more powerful than guns for ensuring tyranny does not rear it's ugly head - it's called democratic process. If they aren't happy with their government, use it - otherwise they simply come across as a persons suffering from delusional paranoia and they of all people should NOT own a firearm.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I am a Brit so keep out of the 'gun debates' for the USA.

All I can say is that this is so, so tragic and I'm so sorry for those left behind.

• Simon
    Simon
    Too many gun owners demand their second amendment rights based on the conviction that gun ownership will ensure the government will not turn to tyranny

And of course their guns would do absolutely nothing against the might of the military government with drones etc...

If the government ever was tyrannical then you'd have no chance.

Ironically, the same republicans are now rating the "huge government, let's kick people's doors in" Trump as their potential candidate.

They are simply insane. They have built a fantasy reality in their heads so they can play with their guns and imagine themselves as John Wayne or Clint Eastwood characters.

The religious devotion to the 2nd amendment is laughable when people are so willing to dismiss or ride roughshod over so many others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit