Has Rutherford's 16-cylinder Cadillac been found?

by under the radar 26 Replies latest jw friends

• under the radar
    under the radar

I ran across this episode of Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube today. All I know is it seems very similar to J F Rutherford's much-vaunted 16-cylinder Cadillac. Watch the episode and let us know what you think. Either way, it's a very cool car. I'd love to see it in person one day. Oh well, maybe the next time I'm in California.

Jay Leno's Garage episode with 16-cylinder Cadillac

• under the radar
    under the radar

If any of you WT history buffs happen to know the VIN number of Rutherford's Cadillac(s), please share it. I understand he had two. VIN numbers would make it a lot easier to track them down, or at least it would give a researcher a shot at it.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

VIN numbers did not exist until 1954.

• under the radar
    under the radar

Thanks, HappyDad! My ignorance is exposed! I thought cars and trucks had had VIN numbers from the very beginning. Did they have any other kind of identifying numbers that could be used to research historical ownership and/or manufacturers' records?

• was a new boy
    was a new boy

Was the cane for a bad back or 1 too many bottles?

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Cool video! I really doubt it would be the same one as JFR’s , as they made lots of them and very few survived. Jay says in the video it gets 3-6 mph, and cost $6500 new in 1930 or 1932, ( both dates are given).

• was a new boy
  • HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

@ was a new boy=> Although he had these ailments, he still continued to rule WT with an IRON HAND--even doing whatever the hell he wanted to do during Prohibition (a cache' of booze to the nines!). Plus, his wish to form an UNHOLY alliance with Hitler was a shock to many who found out and had respect for him (because of his being the president of this organization during that time period). WELP!

• under the radar
    under the radar

Can we please keep this about the car(s) and not about Rutherford? I'm interested to see if it had indeed once belonged to him only from an automotive and historical standpoint. Yes, he had many, many faults, but this post isn't about that.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

In the video, the owner said the car had been in NJ and NY, and he didn’t know when or how it made the way to S California. He seemed to know a bit of its history. Maybe a comment on the youtube would bring a response from a larger audience

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit