The right to not be exposed to ideas I don’t like or agree with?

by EdenOne 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    Question: What if the opposition group claims the property owner's billboard is "Hate Speech"?
    Answer: Hate Speech is subjective to personal or group think. Censorship is censorship.

I don't think it's all that subjective. If the board says: "Legalize abortion, protect women", it may offend pro-life supporters, but it's no hate speech at all. If it says "Pro-life supporters oppress women", well it may qualify as hate speech if it's a statement that's unsupported by facts, but it's still a stretch. If it says "The only good Pro-Life supporter is a dead one", then it really is hate speech. In America, legal tradition is usually lenient towards hate speech because it sees it from the practical consequences perspective, and hence protects "free speech" to enormous lengths. If it didn't result in violence, it wasn't hate speech, end of case. (That may well start to change after the attack on the Capitol). But it Europe, especially after fascism and WWII, we tend to see hate speech much more from the potential damage it can cause to society, and thus are much less lenient, even if at times over-protective of people's sensibilities.

But anyways this thread is about the question whether the right to not be exposed to ideas I don't like or agree with does exist or should exist?

• minimus
    minimus

I really have no issue with schools giving a balanced point of view on sex or political topics as long as it’s not the only option open. Like the news media, I don’t mind you reporting the news as long as you do not try to promote a particular point of view. BIASED anything is unfair and should not be allowed

• titch
    titch

Well, EdenOne, you bring out some interesting ideas in this post. (As well as do folks who have responded) Another example that I'd like to mention here is the issue of the members of the Westboro Baptist Church, here in the United States which was started by its pastor, Fred Phelps, who is now deceased. You might remember, that is the group that enjoyed coming to funerals, of either soldiers who had passed on, or more notoriously, at the funeral of Matthew Shepard, who was a young gay man. The Westboro Baptist Church folks would show up with their posters and signs, expressing the idea that "God Hates Fags", or "Thank God for Dead Soldiers." Now, then, if I had been there, would I have had the he RIGHT to NOT be exposed to their belief system, as presented by their protest signs? Well, no. I certainly don't like their ideas, but I have the choice to just ignore their message, as presented by their protest signs. Now, if I had been there, and I knew that the W.B.C. folks were going to be there with their protest signs, I would have exposed them to MY own signs. Signs that would have said..."There Is No God Who Hates ANYONE." "God Is Imaginary." "God Is The Figment of Human Imagination---Deal With It!". Would they have had the right to NOT be exposed to my own belief system? No. They could just choose to ignore my own signs. It would work both ways. Thanks for reading......Best Regards

Titch.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

No, to ‘not be exposed to ideas’ isn’t a ‘right’, certainly not in the way the term is normally used. It’s basically repackaging the idea of ‘the right to not be offended’.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

It sounds like the father of the kids threw out the baby with the bath water. By not allowing his kids to attend the class, they missed learning about equality etc in a school setting.

However, I agree that some parents may want to be the ones that influence their kids when it comes to sexuality and gender, especially in the current political climate, instead of leaving it up to some progressive, gender- fluid hippy.

Your question applies differently to adults and children.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Its a stupid idea right out of the gate. No one has a right to not hear something they don't like. This makes no sense at all.

• minimus
    minimus

Mick, you always speak with such clarity.👍👍

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Those WBC idiots were denying the right of assembly and religion for others

I can counter an argument, think about the matter brought up if I cant I need to reassess my thinking. Being badgered is different

• JeffT
    JeffT

Of course you have a right to refuse to hear or see anything you disagree with. In my book you have a complete freedom to stick your head up your ass and leave it there forever.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

The right to not be exposed to ideas I don't like or agree with? - no, that is not a right.

I think children have a right to not be exposed to inappropriate adult ideas or things.

But adults? No way.

BTW - how can we get people out of the JW cult without exposing them to ideas they initially don't like or agree with?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit