Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

by Tahoe 21 Replies latest jw friends

• User99
    User99

Matthew 26:64: “You yourself said it.”

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I tend to agree with phizzy. “Cult” may not be the right term but high control group or some shade thereof has been earned, for sure and for certain.

I'd bet that most jdubs would view Scientology as a cult. There have been so many instances of Leah and Mike (and many others) explaining things, where I've thought, "Damn, merely substitute jdubs for Scientologists and it's bang on the same mind control." They're so alike in many different ways.

I had a similar experiance. When reading steve hassins book about his time in the moonies, many many times i substituted ‘jw’s’ for moonies and it was identical.

Maybe cult is right word....

• UnshackleTheChains
    UnshackleTheChains

Well....why is there the need for this forum? Why do individuals hide behind avatars as afraid to reveal who they truly are? What will happen if you decide to 'officially' leave Jehovah's witnesses? I let you decide if Jehovah's witnesses are a cult or not?

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

Just on the scholarly side we avoid the term cult because people abused it and threw it around in the 80s and made absurd claims (I can go into it if anyone wants). But... this organization is deeply authoritarian, repressive, threatens and shames people, and creates and sustains a cult of personality about unquestionable leaders, the Governing Body

High control? Very.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Let's review: It's a cult!

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Do bears poop in the woods? Th ink about it. Still Totally ADD

• debbie mccolloch
    debbie mccolloch

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

to me I cant trust any organization, government or person that isent 100 % transparent

• Solzhenitsyn
  • Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ridiculous snswer there.

Firstly, Jehovahs witnesses are a (relatively) new religion.

Secondly they positively DO have human leaders, 8 currently, and whereas a jw can voice doubts over god or jesus, if he were to disobey the smallest dictate of these leaders he would be kicked out without hesitation.

Finally, any positive effect they have on a few individuals is far outweighed by the devastation they've wrought on countless famillies snd the thousands of deaths due to blood and suicide. They only hold literacy classes in order to recruit into the cult and their "disaster relief" is minimal - helping only other witesses. The organization 's billions in yearly donations are spent solely on the organization itself, not even needy Jehovahs witnesses see a penny of donation money.

They do absolutely nothing to help the local community, with whom they have nothing to do, unless its to recruit them into what is, most definitely, a cult!

Phew got that off my chest!!

• JeffT
    JeffT

"Cult" is verbal shorthand for "A religion different from mine." It's just a word, this question has come up a million times here and elsewhere, and it will come up a million more. The response will tell you more about the person answering than it will the religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit