Faithleaks-Did you guys see this?

by carla 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• carla
  • darkspilver
    darkspilver

Yeah, seems interesting, though the ex-jw community seems to be pretty good at distributing, and keeping online, various leaked info.

The real benefit though may be in encouraging new leaks via their submission process.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5714189639221248/_post/5667648102727680

https://www.reddit.com/r/exjw/comments/7bc9oy/mormonleaks_launches_new_website_faithleaksorg_to/

• steve2
    steve2

Eerily similar to ex-JW sites.

• jws
    jws

Right off the top of my head, I think the branding sounds fantastic and is likely to drive more eyes to their info.

Yes, a lot of stuff gets posted on sites like this and others to make even the private elder-only material available to the public.

But something with the aura of places like WikiLeaks makes it way more tantalizing. And if it's just secret documents without all of the banter we have here, it might be even more interesting. For instance, if somebody publishes all of the secret Scientology manuals, I'd be interested in just those. Way more joining an ex-Scientologist site and hearing debates about internal things that have nothing to do with me. Just to find these documents.

And while we might have links and pointers to secret documents, you have to wade through discussions to find it. A current JW may be interested in seeing say, the Shepherding the Flock book. Without any editorial about whether the religion is good or bad. Just what does it say and why is it hidden? They might even rationalize that it isn't really apostate because it's just something the WTBTS publishes. But this site does have apostates.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I like the phrase "high demand religion" it's more catchy than high control.

"Is your religion a demanding asshole? Then listen up."

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

As reported by Newsweek:

Now, members of other religious groups have reached out and asked for something similar. McKnight has been contacted by representatives of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Scientologists and a handful of other religious denominations.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

AndersonInfo: McKnight has been contacted by representatives of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, Scientologists and a handful of other religious denominations.

Thank kinda makes it sound official?

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

I can see the spin from the GB now.....apostate lies! You can throw all the proof in front of the rank and file and all they need to hear is apostate lies....the "spiritual" equivalent to "fake news." Best wishes though. :)

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    FaithLeaks is rooted on the premise that “increased transparency results in fewer untruths, less corruption and less abuse in any organization,”

First thing that comes to mind was "And?" Corruption in churches and religion in general is one of the many problems I have with any organized religious organizations.

However, I know that I'm not the only human in the planet, so I also know that others can benefit from feeling comfort by having less transparency in their faith leadership. At the end of the day, it's hard for people who do care about religion to be betrayed by the people they are supposed to trust the most.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just sounds fantastic. I know there has been a lot of co-operation lately between exmo's, as ex Mormons are known, and exjw's. They have something called "Tapir signal" which is a kind of exjw/exmo support group ( kind of like the bat signal as an S.O.S.) and the two ex reddit groups are very close.

So as well as pooling our resources, there is definitely a lot we can learn from one another.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit