Conflicts in the mind

by JH 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

Do you have an inner voice inside of you that opposes what you think about the Jehovah Witnesses?

In other words, is there a part of you that will always be a Jehovah Witness, and a part of you that will always hate them?

• Scully
    Scully

JH writes:

Do you have an inner voice inside of you that opposes what you think about the Jehovah Witnesses?

In other words, is there a part of you that will always be a Jehovah Witness, and a part of you that will always hate them?

There are some things I learned as a JW that have served me well even though I no longer believe the doctrines. I have no regrets about my core values of honesty and my work ethic. I don't think I have racial or cultural hang-ups, and I owe that to the JW teachings I learned from an early age. I do find that I have to keep a close watch on my tendency to view situations as dichotomous (only two choices, good or bad, etc) when in reality there may be varying shades of gray in between. I have trouble getting close to people and opening up - making myself vulnerable emotionally - and finding it hard to trust others - because as a JW I learned that to do that makes you weak and it opens you up to attack (subtle and not so subtle) from other JWs. It's safer for me emotionally to keep people at arm's length, because if I take that leap of faith and trust them - and later end up disappointed - I don't handle the disappointment very well at all. Love, Scully

• berylblue
    berylblue

In a word, yes.

Beryl

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

I think hate is too strong. My mother, before she died, was a witness, as is my brother, one nephew and one niece. In addition, there are people I've known since childhood who are also witnesses. Sadly, they are as brain dead as I was, but that is not a good reason to hate. Bug

• gumby
    gumby

The fact is....many of the GOOD qualities we learned as one of Jehovahs Witnesess are also learned in other groups.......yet many do not realise this and think the Organisation holds the patent on these qualities.

The cub scouts, brownies, and even AA teaches most all the good things the WTBTS teaches. So do other churches.

Don't be fooled into thinking the Witnesess have any "goodness" ...over anyone else.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy
    The cub scouts, brownies, and even AA teaches most all the good things the WTBTS teaches. So do other churches.

Don't be fooled into thinking the Witnesess have any "goodness" ...over anyone else.

Exactly...however, we learned it from the JW's...so in effect we do owe it to them.

I will always be partial to the witnesses because I did know a lot of good people, who right or wrong were trying their best. As long as those select few buck the system and still count me as a friend I will always be reminded of the time I spent as a JW and thought and acted like these people do.

• gumby
    gumby

so in effect we do owe it to them.

Agreed

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I was born into it, and lived it, well... religiously for 36+ years. I've been out for a little over 2 years now, and I think you could draw my blood and seperate into the tiniest of fractions, pardon the pun, and you wouldn't find the slightest trace of JW.

It was my belief system, it was my culture, it was my hope, it was my total and complete brainwashing; but it wasn't me. I'm so over it.

• nowisee
    nowisee

my thoughts re jws are unified. i am now convinced the wts is false prophet. i have never hated jws and dont hate them now. i feel sad that they are so misguided, as i believe many of them are sincere and basically good people. it is very tragic when people abdicate responsibility for their own thinking and make an organization responsible for their beliefs and decisions. Acts 17:ll.

• gumby
    gumby

I'm so over it.

A lot of food for thought in those words.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit