Which of you readers are being shunned by their relatives / friends ?

by stan livedeath 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This from the wonderful LongHairGal :

" Remember, the shunning routine doesn’t work without an audience to appreciate it."

What a great point ! I think too, if we get the chance to negate what they do, by giving them at least a cursory nod, or even a "Good morning" and even a smile ? as you would any person you once knew, it is great to do, preferably without engaging in conversation, they don't deserve that, but then they know their Shunning attempt has failed.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm out the cult but I'm being kinda 'soft-shunned' by two members of my family (who AREN'T JWs, lol).

My aunt has stopped inviting me to her house after we clashed a bit in July 2017. She didn't know that black Africans sold other black Afruicans into slavery, lol.

But I'm still facebook friends with her, as I am with her daughter, my cousin. She must have seen some of my feminist-critical FB posts over the past few years. The last time I saw her was in 2018.

My cousin is also a passionate Remainer as well as a full-on feminazi. And I voted Leave. This also might have something to do with it.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PHIZZY:

Thanks!😉

I just want to say that I do realize that this does not apply to those suffering from family shunning or kids being thrown out of the home, etc. My heart goes out to them! I wish there would be laws against this.

But, in my case, I didn’t recognize the staring woman at first.. I might have smiled anyway. Much of what JWs do is all about show and optics and how it would look to the other fools they seek approval from in the hall. But outside, if there’s no audience to appreciate their ‘act’, whether other JWs or the intended victim, what’s the point? What is left for the frustrated JW to do? ..Are they going to go up to the shunned person in the store who has no idea who they are and introduce themselves? 🤣

What lengths will they go to in order to attempt to feel relevant and try desperately to ‘get at’ or hurt the feelings of someone who has moved on and doesn’t care? It’s absurd.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Longhairgal- I called some out one time walking in the street. They saw me and did a turn around and started to walk in the opposite direction for which they where going. Mind you I and my family have never been DF'D. But in their wasted minds we committed a crime since we grew a brain and don't want to be part of their group anymore. I scream out that they act like children on a school yard. If you look at Jesus did he treat people who disagreed with him this way? Speaks volumes of the Ridiculousness of the group.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FOOLEDNOMORE:

You said it right. It’s a schoolyard mentality. And you don’t have to be disfellowshipped to be shunned. Just be slightly unpopular for whatever reason Or gossiped about by the ‘right’ people and you get the treatment you got.

I wonder if any of your shunners were among those pestering your family for money? They got colossal nerve if they were! As a side point, Witnesses who shun their children have No business looking them up for a$$istance when they are old. Likewise, anybody who shunned responsible working people.

Aren’t you glad you’re out? I’m so glad I’ll never have to deal with these people and their games again.

• BereanThinker7
    BereanThinker7

My wife, myself, and our newborn daughter whom the family has never met, shun us.

All 4of my grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, the whole family 3 generations deep.

Thankfully most of the wifes family is out.

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

Longhairgal- My Family and I are S Grateful to be out. We have achieved so many things from leaving that horrible cult!

• Lee Marsh
    Lee Marsh

Ozzie

Hi Lee,

When I first read this I thought “sheesh, how could they hate so long” but then I realised my own family shunning is 25+ years.

So for me every relative, whether children, siblings or whatever share in this hate cult towards me.

How sad for them that they are in bondage, i pray that they will eventually know true christian freedom.

Cheers,

Ozzie

If they left I would welcome them with open arms. If I went back I would always be suspect and acceptance would be conditional. Not a good deal if you ask me.
  • Michelle3
    Michelle3

No, not shunned because I was abandoned out. I quit cold turkey and my kids are out. I clung to it like a life preserver but was avoided and not helped when I needed simple encouragement. They thought if they ignored me I’d go away, like I was a problem or something. Divorced mom with a disability.

• Mum
    Mum

Fortunately, I came from a non-JW family. My mother became a JW late in life, but she never shunned me. She expressed regret that I was no longer a JW, but did not shun me.

I also have a niece who was a JW for a few years, and she didn't shun me either. Maybe I have a better family than I thought. No members of my family are currently JW's.
    Thank you, Jesus!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit