Watchtower 1973 - "Dinosuars WERE on Noah's Ark"!!! College educated response??

by Witness 007 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Witnesses hate college education, and why would you need one when you have our "spiritual food" the Watchtower answering science questions.

Watchtower 1973 july 15 p.7 Questions from readers.

"When did dinosaurs go extinct? -They may have disappeared during the flood of Noahs day. Not all of them were of gigantic size. If they survived till the flood it would not have required to take pairs of verieties INTO THE ARK. Other smaller members of a family kind would have sufficed...."

So baby or small dino's were taken into the ark which later grew or evolved into the giant T-rex etc. Brilliant logic!!! Burn your other science books!!!

• steve2
    steve2

A well composed, thoughtful answer, laying bare the naivete of the very latest research on these fascinating animals.

With the organization's higher level of intellectual reasoning, yes we can ditch modern science and its egregious errors of thinking.

Thank Jehovah for the indispensable spiritual food from His earthly organization. To think this wonderful answer was composed by Jah's humble servants over 40 years ago.

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

I collected all the dinosaur-related Watchtower quotes I could find here:

DINOSAURS - What do Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

I think there's a case to be made that they still condone this kind of thinking.

• steve2
    steve2

BH, I checked your website out. Very good - your overview of jw organization's "view" on (the science of) dinosaurs is well composed - one of the best I've read on this topic.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great site. I did notice one thing. You refer to the JW teaching of the creative days being thousands of years long. That is technically still true, but I believe they adjusted that "cherished error."

Unless I'm mistaken, they now say that the "days" we're of undetermined lengths. So, "thousands" of years could mean ten million thousand years. They are trying to blur the lines of creationism, while not accepting the scientific findings which make fundamental Xianity seem absurd.

I could be wrong. Anyway, great work!

DD

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Another question: Aren't Archeologists finding "soft" material that has been preserved in some fossils?

I'm certainly no Scientist, but wouldn't those items contain carbon?

I love this stuff.

DD

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Its easy to see that the WTS reasoning is based on ignorance of the known facts concerning biology.

But then again the WTS. as other religions exploit human Ignorance to support itself, ancient mythology is just a means to an end. The WTS leaders themselves aren't well educated so they are compelled to appeal human emotions then logical reasoning.

• Bloody Hotdogs!
    Bloody Hotdogs!

@ DATA-DOG

I collected all the Watchtower quotes I could find on creative days here:

CREATIVE DAYS - What do Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

They have stated the "thousands" of years idea as late as 2014. In 1998 they told us exactly what it means: 7000-ish years, inferred from the length of creative day seven.

Scientists are finding very interesting residue within dinosaur fossils. I could only refer you to the scientific literature for more information. Being 70million or more years old, however, rules out the ability to carbon date. Remember, carbon dating is based on the ratio of carbon12 and carbon14, but after that much time, there is no detectable carbon14 left.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thanks for the information!

Perhaps I dreamed up the "days" of unknown length? I do that sometimes. The WTBTS should adopt that view. It would make more sense... Well, you know what I mean.

Having those "days" being of unknown length could help create the illusion that the WTBTS isn't a fundy-xian creationist group.

DD

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Yep, How interesting it would have been to watch Noah collect together Aligators, Crocodiles, and other "Dinosaur-like" creatures (Leviathon as per the book of Lot) into the ark!

Maybe there were actually many more in Noahs family before that exercise...but as they were eaten during the collection, he just didn't mention them in his narrative account!?!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit