My BPD Sister Passed Away

by babygirl30 24 Replies latest jw friends

• babygirl30
    babygirl30

I have started this, then restarted it, and it still sucks to even write this out - but my younger sister passed away unexpectedly last Saturday (on my birthday). I am going through all the grieving emotions, but there is more to the story that I could never and would never talk about to anyone that didn't understand the JW rhetoric. So...here I am.

My sister has had Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) for as long as I can remember. She refused any psychological help that my parents tried to get her, and instead, blamed everyone for her shortcomings, failures, problems, and anger. But the main target of her hatred was ME! And yes, I said hatred because more than once in our lives, she has outright said she hates me to my face, and this includes once as adults. Let me preface my sisters actions this way: she has attacked me several times, she has yelled, screamed, gotten in my face, called me names, lied about me, started so many 'smear campaigns' against me that I lost count, cyber stalked and harassed me, and basically has attempted what a court of law would legally consider 'character assassination' - mind you, this has gone on from kids up to adults (in our 30s). I have always ALWAYS wanted to be close to her, to be real sisters and best friends, but there has always been this block she puts up and it way surpassed sibling rivalry. Despite her treatment of ME, I was always the first person she called when she needed help. When she got pregnant and needed a place to live - ME. When she needed a babysitter - ME. When she just wanted company - ME. When she needed to borrow money - ME. When she and the baby needed a place to live because she was sick of our parents 'running her life' - ME. And in the end, none of that mattered, because whenever she felt slighted or left out, left behind, or didn't like what you said...the BPD took over and her anger knew no bounds. Unless you have dealt with someone who has this mental disorder, I don't think you can understand the serious lack of control these people have when it comes to anger. Each time, I would go to my parents and beg for them to help me...beg for them to check her attitude, do something, do anything?! But it was always met with "you are the older one, you need to be the example for her" OR I would get the "well what did you do to get her worked up?" When it came to her, we all walked on eggshells...everyday...and it made me a nervous wreck.

Fast forward to 10yrs ago, I was DFd for 2yrs and had no intentions of going back. My family had cut me out of their lives, but my sister swore that my niece and I would always have a relationship because she was would never stop talking to me. Well...as usual...all it took was ONE angry outburst and that changed. My parents offered her a deal: they would financially look after she and my niece IF she made the choice not to have any dealings with me. She took the deal. :-( The led to her calling and telling me I was now dead to she and my niece, and to never contact them again. Her obsession with attacking me continued, because months after that, she sent me scathing emails about how bad of a person I am...how she was glad our parents cut me off...how I needed to remove all pictures off my social media of she and my niece because we were no longer her family. I had to eventually contact our father and demand a cease and desist otherwise I would take legal action. She stopped, but the damage was done. I was broken...and that was the last we ever spoke. Now during this 10yr period of separation, my sister has done some majorly crazy things, she has taken advantage of a lot of people and been cut off by them also, she has lied on my name and been cruel (this is all 2nd hand information I've been told my mutual acquaintances and our own extended family). So needless to say, we have never been close. It made me sad that she was so mean to me, but I long mourned that separation and accepted that it most likely was healthier emotionally and mentally for me in the end.

...and then she passed. I will never forget that moment I got the call. I still can't believe MY baby sister is gone. Like just GONE. And now any opportunity there could've EVER been to make amends, if that would even be possible, is gone with her. But the part that makes me mad is that I don't mourn HER. She was horrible to me, and I can't rationally make sense of mourning someone who was that way. But I mourn the lost chances...the years SHE wasted blocking me out of her life...the fact that she was sad, and lonely, and angry at the world and all she wanted was to be loved, but never could get that....learning that she had 1 close friend, and realizing that I had always WISHED her best friend would be ME, her big sister. SMH! Anyhow, I have gone to see my parents 3x now, and they have let me in their house (a place I have been unwelcome in for 12yrs), and was able to have an adult and frank convo with my own mother. THAT I am grateful for. But as JWs aren't to be outdone, what was a normal convo immediately turned into the JW bs of "you need to come back"..."I love Jehovah more than you and your sister, and I believe his word the Bible, so I will do whatever he wants me to do"..."you need to get your life together'?!?!?!?!?! I told my mom that I will come back, if that's what she wants, BUT she has to live with knowing that I don't believe in JWs version of God and religion, and that I would in fact be living a lie - so IF she is ok with that, then cool. she started to cry and kept saying out loud "I can't believe you have turned your back on what you were taught from infancy up"! I mean, my folks are elderly, they are now going to have to raise my niece, and my mom is disabled. I am their only living child, I am married, grown, financially established, gainfully employed, have a strong circle of friends - everything except be a JW, but that seems to be all that matters, and it is ridiculous. It makes me so angry that despite me putting MY life aside to literally do whatever my parents need/want in order to help them, despite their shunning and cruel treatment of ME, I am still being judged because I was DF'd. Me being their child and wanting to help in their time of need means LESS than my 'standing' in a religion. It makes me sick to even think about it. My mom ALSO told me that I can come to my sisters memorial at the Khall and that the friends will probably be nice to me?! Um...ok?! Mind you my sister hasn't been active in years and she also wasn't raising my niece as a JW either (but my mom said that will change immediately because my niece will need the support of the 'friends'). Why not the support of her own aunt who is blood and family? Moving forward, I am working really hard with my therapist through my mixed feelings about my sister, and I know I sound cold and harsh, but I am lost on HOW to feel at the moment. Add on my JW parents bs, and things are all over the place. All the feelings I mourned years ago when my family cut me off, have crept back up, and I have a gut feeling once the memorial service is over, the shunning will go right back to normal - and that is something I will again have to 'mourn'. It is like this never-ending circle of shit.

I just needed to get this out. Thank you to whomever reads it...honestly. It is a lot, but I feel better actually writing this out and talking about what I dealt with and am dealing with.

• carla
    carla

I am so sorry for your loss and all the jw bs that you have endured and will continue to endure. I'm sure a former ex jw here will have something more profound for you. Wishing you peace.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

My sister in law has BPD. She's put my inlaws through hell. Dropping them from her life just as their son, my husband, died. She's even rejected her own child. She's been so cruel to them so I can relate a little.

You are going through the hell of raw grief. Just breathe and do the best you can. A cliche I know but take one day or one hour at a time. That feeling that they've just suddenly vanished off the face of the earth is hard! Hang in there. We're here if you want to vent more.

• tiki
    tiki

Very sad story.....take care of yourself....your health and well-being. There's a lot of emotional abuse you've detailed....do whatever you need to get beyond it. Wishing you health and happiness....😊

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

So sorry to hear what your parents and especially your sister has put you through all of these years.And as you know as time goes by your pain & loss will ease ,it will always be there but at least become more bearable.

I wish you well and take care of yourself ,put your own mental & physical health first now.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

As I was reading your post a couple of things came to mind.

First, I was hoping that as difficult as it was to do, your laying it all out the way you did, brought you some peace of mind and it sounds like it did.

Secondly, as I read, I noticed that even though you are fully aware of sisters mental illness, on some level may be trying to make sense of her actions toward you and are still feeling the sting of the hurtful words and behavior. This is a pretty common and natural thing to do, especially when it's a family member. When there is a violent crime committed, the first thing people want to know of the accused is "what was he thinking...how could he do such a thing?". They are trying to use logic and rational thinking to make sense of the actions of a crazy person. You lived with your sister since childhood so her crazy behavior, as odd as it was, was part of your "normal" day to day life and could be part of the reason why it's so hard to get over. If you worked in a mental care facility and your sister was one of the patients there, you'd be able to dismiss everything she said and did and put it all down to her mental illness. Because as a child, you lived with it day in and day out, you couldn't always see it objectively the way an outsider could.

It's been a long goodbye and right now rather than mourning your sister directly, you are in a sense, mourning your childhood. You're feeling sorrow for your younger self and what you suffered at the hands of your mentally ill sister and suffering the loss of what could have been. On top of that, your sorrow is compounded by the loss of the consolation that family members can bring at these times.

I hope it helps to be reminded that all of this came about through no fault of your own. You didn't choose for your sister to be afflicted with mental illness and you didn't choose to be brought into a religion that causes otherwise rational loving parents to fear god so much that to save their own hides, they must turn their backs on their own offspring.

Memorial and Funerals are to help the living grieve and under the circumstances no one would blame you for not attending however doing so may give your family an excuse to resume their shunning. If you are able to attend and view it as a way to honor the memory of your sister and bring closure to and unfortunate situation, it may bring you a measure of peace in knowing that no matter what others do or say, you did the honorable thing.

In the meantime, you'll need to trust that time will be a friend to you in all of this and that you'll come to grips with all of the troubling feelings your are experiencing at the moment.

• babygirl30
    babygirl30
    It's been a long goodbye and right now rather than mourning your sister directly, you are in a sense, mourning your childhood. You're feeling sorrow for your younger self and what you suffered at the hands of your mentally ill sister and suffering the loss of what could have been. On top of that, your sorrow is compounded by the loss of the consolation that family members can bring at these times.

That's exactly how I feel. There is a part of me that feels so GUILTY for being mad at my sister and not being broken and sad over her passing. The finality of it all hurts...seeing my parents brokenhearted hurts too...BUT the sadness I feel is moreso again, for all the memories that I am having (bad ones), for having to remember how I've been treated all this time, and for the 'what if' scenarios I replay in my head! All I wanted was to be this girls friend - and instead I was her enemy (at no fault of my own).

You didn't choose for your sister to be afflicted with mental illness and you didn't choose to be brought into a religion that causes otherwise rational loving parents to fear god so much that to save their own hides, they must turn their backs on their own offspring.

In my head, I already accepted it and have been ok with it for years. It is my heart strings that are being pulled right now...that is what bothers me most

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Can I just say I am related to someone ( nephew in-law) who has BPD and Ive been in clinics with people diagnosed with it so I DO know what it’s like to be around them but I can’t imagine the hell you must feel being the one they’re obsessed with. I know that fear, though, since my hubby has been that person. I absolutely feel for you.

I think perhaps you need to try and be there for your poor niece who is the one who is going to really suffer in all this. It’s seems that poor little girl as used as a pawn.

Your sister had a very real and very debilitating illness....apart from schizophrenia perhaps the MOST debilitating. Your parents took advantage of that fact and I’m afraid it’s they that have done the most damage to you.

is there any chance you and your husband would be willing to fight for that little girl?

PS I’m very sorry such a very young lady and mother has lost her life :(

edit: raising that child away from the cult would be the ultimate fitting tribute to the woman YOUR SISTER SHOULD HAVE BEEN. Even if you fought for access it would be worth it. Perhaps you will fill that gaping hole with the relationship with your sisters child ❤️❤️

• babygirl30
    babygirl30
    You didn't choose for your sister to be afflicted with mental illness and you didn't choose to be brought into a religion that causes otherwise rational loving parents to fear god so much that to save their own hides, they must turn their backs on their own offspring.

The issue with that is...my parents are ALL my niece has known! My sister has lived with my parents off and on for all 13yrs of my nieces life, so they are her family. I havent been around her since she was 2 or 3...so I'm technically a stranger to her (and her to me). To fight to take her away from my folks would be double the trauma,, and I cant imagine doing that to the poor child. What I DO want...is at the very least, a relationship with her, a chance to get to know her and vice versa, an opportunity to be her 'support' through this. Instead, I fear the shunning will resume and I'll go back to being shut out of her life again and forever

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    What I DO want...is at the very least, a relationship with her, a chance to get to know her and vice versa, an opportunity to be her 'support' through this. Instead, I fear the shunning will resume and I'll go back to being shut out of her life again and forever

There's a saying...

"It's easier to put on a pair of slippers than to try and carpet the whole world".

In other words, do whatever you can within your own power and within your own circumstances rather worry about what might happen or try to control what others may do. All you can do is take things as they come, behave honorably and let time take care of the rest.

I grew up for the most part in the U.S. with all of my relatives living in Europe. As a kid, I only saw them a handful of times for a short period of time but the impact those short visits had on me was quite remarkable. A few day to a kid seems like a long time. Later in life we were able to pick up right where we left off as if no time had passed at all. There's some kind of chemistry that takes place between family members that can't be explained. I think your Niece will probably feel the same way when she's older. She will remember fondly the times you spent together and will see the subtle resemblances you have to her mother. She will be old enough to realize the situation and will see you for who you are.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit