Noah’s flood

by dothemath 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• dothemath
    dothemath

A few years ago at one of the conventions, there was a talk on Gods remarkable creation. One of the slides showed a giant sequoia tree, approximately 5000 years old!

Later another talk was about Noah etc. I remember thinking, how did they miss this? How could the tree survive a worldwide flood 3500 years ago?

I know everyone here knows it’s ridiculous, and if I was writing the doctrine, I would make a change.

it would be quite easy I think, just by using this scripture. This was from a recent study article.

By the time the apostle Paul wrote his letter to the Colossians, about 61 C.E., he could describe the good news as being preached “in all creation under heaven.” (Col 1:23) In Paul’s day, “all creation” meant the world as it was then known.

So the “world” doesn’t always mean the whole world. They could give the flood a little bit of believability, but of course they won’t.

• Hisclarkness
    Hisclarkness

You are right. There are a few ways to interpret Noah’s flood and have it make more sense.

Notwithstanding that I believe the whole religion is in error, they could easily change many doctrines and teachings that they are literally shooting themselves in the foot with to make things easier and more believable for people.

1. Shunning- not associating is one thing; shunning is a different and unnecessary level.

2. Blood doctrine - if that’s what you believe, fine. But it shouldn’t be a mandated belief for everyone punishable by disfellowship.

3. Restrictive view on higher education.

4. Not open to change or varying interpretations.

Just to name a few.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

https://curiosmos.com/this-ancient-city-predates-the-great-pyramid-by-around-8000-years-and-you-probably-never-heard-of-it/

Gobekli tepe , predates Stonehenge by 6000 years thought to be erected 13000 and 11000 years ago with no water damage , how would they explain that?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There was no global flood. The scientific evidence is overwhelming. There was a local flood in the region of Turkey about the time the Biblical flood took place. This is probably what started all the flood myths, but good luck getting any Protestant denomination to believe it.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

There was no global flood. The scientific evidence is overwhelming. There was a local flood in the region of Turkey about the time the Biblical flood took place. This is probably what started all the flood myths, but good luck getting any Protestant denomination to believe it.

• waton
    waton
    all creation” meant the world as it was then known. dtm:

to bible writers with their myopic vision and limited knowledge.

that would exclude India China, the Himalayas. but

wt uses 'Jesus', 'Peter's endorsing the deluge, and comparing it to the ending of the 'present world'. --- now think about that, ---if the flood waters did not really cover Mount Everest, Armageddon will be only local too, Black Sea, Megiddo area.

about those giant old trees, with the first rain, falling on Noah at 10 meter heights an hour*** , they would be all uprooted and floating above Mount Everest too. probably big enough floats for the pandas, kangaroos, sloths to get off early and float back to their homeland rather than have to walk, hop back to their homelands.

*** dothemath, do the math: 24 hours by 40 days = 960 hours of rainfall. Everest ~ 9600 m high. 9600 meters : 960 hours= 10.meters/h that is 3 stories submerged every hour, quite a story that is.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To believe in the Flood and think well of the Creator is to endorse his drowning of innocent children and the unborn children. Let alone of decent people tilling the land to feed their families or village.

He is both a child murderer and the murderer of the unborn........... which means he was an abortionist.

Reconcile this if you can......... he murdered the little children and the un born.

Is that who you worship?

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Some scientists believe that Mars was once covered with water:

Some scientists believe that it is impossible for earth to have once been covered with water. Just giving some perspective here.

I mean.... there is marine fossils on top of Everest.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They don't know what they are talking about, so they rely on "political correctness" to force a bad narrative on everyone to enslave us all. There is no way water can displace rock that weighs 3 times as much per volume on such a global scale. The earth has plates that are ramming each other, and that is why Mount Everest is where there used to be an ocean (until the Indian and Asian plates crashed into each other).

Nothing in that bible happened as was written. The whole bible is to enslave us all, and we have religious systems to enforce it. That is where our political correctness is leading to, at more than superhighway speeds. Today, it is about racial differences and philo-Semitism. Once this philo-Semitism reaches its destination, we get the scientific "political correctness" to add to this. That LIE-ble is deemed more important than actual science. Never mind people have actually seen the whole earth as a globe--including astronauts that have directly seen it and satellites that have documented it. Never mind probes that have directly been to the other planets and their moons. Never mind that we have directly seen planets around other stars, and have tons of indirect evidence that such exist. That bible says that earth is shaped like a record album, and that no other stars host planets. And, anyone going by science instead of that bible is beheaded under Noahide Laws.

I definitely do not believe in a global flood as in Noah's time. I do not believe the earth is some 6,000 years old (or some 50,000 years old) but it is far older than that. I do not believe man came some 6,000 years ago--it was tens of thousands of years before that. And I do not believe the sun stood still for a day--if it did, that would have caused tsunamis and wind storms, and global destruction of all the tectonic plates due to the sudden stoppage and starting of the earth's rotation. Nor do I believe we are forever in debt due to a single fictitious event in Eden, or that thing called jesus ever existed at all. The whole book belongs in the trash, except to learn from the stupidity of mankind and not repeat the same mistakes or as one of the grandest X rated stories (X rated for graphic violence against the whole human race).

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I mean.... there is marine fossils on top of Everest.

Yes but not just laying about on the surface but in strata layers which means these high elevations on Everest were once an ocean floor that were pushed up by the tectonic plates of the Earth's surface shifting upward creating the numerous mountain ranges which are seen today.

Creationists like to twist these findings to support the ancient mythological story of Noah's flood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit