Need a little help on 607 586/587....

by undercover 44 Replies latest watchtower bible

• undercover
    undercover

I looked up the Aid book as referenced by Scholar and I see references to 390 years and 40 years as foretold in Ezekial 4. In all my years of being a JW I do not ever remember studying this. Without studying the Aid book to the nth degree, I got the impression that they were trying to prove 607 via this.

What comments do you scholarly types have regarding the 390 and 40 year spans? How do they play into the prophecy of Jerusalem's destruction and when it would occur? I wish I had the mental capacities to be able to understand this without bothering people but unfortunately I don't. Thanks in advance to any that reply.

• scholar
    scholar

logansrun

Perhaps you should put that same question to the likes of Alan F.

scholar

• scholar
    scholar

undercover

The charts in the Aid book demonstrate how the regnal years of the Divided Monarchy can be reconciled with all of the biblical data and in harmony with an interpretation of Ezekiel's prophecy and Jewish tradition. In other words it is about methodology. Other scholars have different methods for this historical period and thus come up with varying results. In my view it is about credibilty and faithfulbess to God's Word. If the Society can get it right with a difficult problem of chronology and history such as this then it behooves one to pay more than the usual attention to other vexing matters such as the latter period of Judean kinship, the chronology of Jesus' life etc.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• scholar
    scholar

drawcad_1

The scriptural references in Jeremiah pertaining to the nature and length of the seventy years are well known. If you are having some difficulty with this then read the chapter on the Seventy Years in GTR. The fact of the matter that any scripture needs interpretationand therefore there will be a multiplicity of views and interpretations. Which the correct view: Jonsson's hypothesis or Societys? Only you can answer that question.

Yes, I admit that I am excited about Furuli's forthcoming books. I have profound respect for people who are educated and have worked for their degrees like Furuli. Such people are an exception to the rule whereupon people who post on this board do not have degrees relevant to the the matters they claim to have knowledge.

scholar BA MA Studies in Religion

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

Yes, I admit that I am excited about Furuli's forthcoming books. I have profound respect for people who are educated and have worked for their degrees like Furuli. Such people are an exception to the rule whereupon people who post on this board do not have degrees relevant to the the matters they claim to have knowledge.

I guess that the Greek rendition of being 'unlettered and ordinary', actually means bristling with degrees...lol

HS

• Gamaliel
    Gamaliel

scholar,

You said:
    "Yes, it is very likely that a scholarly presentation for the historical and biblical validity for 607 will be presented."

At least now you admit that nothing of the sort has ever been presented before by saying "it is very likely that a scholarly presentation ...will be presented." You do seem to be farther along in this inquiry than many, perhaps the majority of, JWs who still believe that there already has been secular or scholarly support for 607 BCE. Many JWs consider my father a scholar although his education and profession was in engineering. He was one of those who once believed 607 had at least some scholarly support, and was quite surprised when he discovered there wasn't any. My grandmother once told me: "If 1914 is wrong, then we're in the wrong religion." I'm now seeing that for many JWs, it still is almost that important, and this attitude will only force a delay in the time when the WTS drops it completely.

Rolf Furuli is shortly to publish research on this subject and this should be compared with the Jonsson hypothesis.

I'm sure it will be. You make it sound as if you've never read C.O.Johnnson's "hypothesis" or you would realize that you've used the wrong word. At its core, Johnsson's work is an exposure of the consistent differences between various secular, scholarly sources and the Watchtower's position. For me, the main point was that if we are to claim that 539 BCE is an "absolute date" (in the words of the Wt) then 587/6 must also be an "absolute date" for the destruction of Jerusalem, (i.e., if you accept the Wt criteria for an absolute date). By Watchtower criteria, 607 BCE must be "absolute"-ly wrong!

Your comments about the affect of Jonsson's treatise on those at Bethel are probably correct but do not think for a moment that Brother Franz could not have blown it apart if he felt inclined. Brother Franz was one of the most formidable Bible scholars of the last century and it is difficult to imagine that any person could put something past him.

Then you didn't know Brother Franz. He felt very inclined and simply couldn't. I got the impression that he was really quite angry about it. My impression was that he seemed so shaken by it, that I started to believe he actually knew that 607 was wrong and that it could never be supported -- and I wasn't the only one. That was very difficult for me. And it wasn't that I saw 607 and 1914 as such a big problem, just because the JWs were wrong on a key piece of chronology; for me it wasn't the core of the religion. I stayed for about 5 years, knowing full well that the chronology was unsupported and believing without any doubt that it was plain wrong. The real problem for me was being asked to be deliberately dishonest about this and other things. I had for years thought that Fred Franz was at least sincere, if mistaken. His reaction, however, has made me wonder for how long he may have had doubts about the JW chronology.

Also, I'm not trying to put Fred Franz down as unscholarly. I was very impressed by his memory and knowledge of scholarly issues. I interviewed him twice (and Grace DeCecca, and others) and still have all the original cassettes. He especially had an impressive memory for the New World Translation, and many of the translation issues that came up over the years. I must say though, that while he seemed competent enough in Hebrew, his translation decisions were not always based on sound evidence. I think Furuli has perhaps unintentionally exposed that about him already.

You might not realize it, but anyone who has been a JW for more than 30 years has already abandoned several of Fred Franz' ideas.

The treatise submitted by Jonsson is simply rubbish and only succeeds in demonstrating the efforts that some will go to to undermine a very accurate methodology for establishing secure biblical dates. There is clear historical and biblical evidence for 607 just as it nicely provides prophetic implications for the Gentile Times concluding in 1914.

Calling a treatise "rubbish" doesn't seem very "scholarly." Believe me, I know that the nature of the forum is often conducive to this type of trash-talk, so I won't hold it against you. But it's so easy to call something rubbish and give no evidence in context that you ever even read it. Also, to claim again that there is clear historical and biblical evidence for 607 is not "scholarly" unless you can back it up. Claiming that someone else (Furuli) will back it up in the near future is not evidence, as you must already know.

For the record, such as it is in an anonymous forum, my own formal education is not in "Religious Studies." I do have formal education in Hebrew (3 years) and Greek, but at a level which barely enhances my own enjoyment of scholarly works by others; I can't honestly claim to be a scholar myself. I'll risk adding that I'm a bit surprised and even skeptical at seeing those degrees in Religious Studies by your signature. It must be very rare among JWs, even if they took Religious Studies before becoming JWs. Did you get yours after?

Gamaliel

(Edited to try to fix up the "quote boxes")

• logansrun
    logansrun

"scholar",

Um, wait a minute....AlanF is an ex-Jehovah's Witness; he's not under any "theocratic" authority which says he should not be here. I find his posts very insightful and I think he has helped a lot of people with his straightforward logic and research.

What you have just don is called "dodging the question." Perhaps you feel you have to do that to maintain some "spiritual" credibility as to why you are here (read: self deception). Maybe you're even afraid to answer the question.

Bradley

• scholar
    scholar

logansrun

You state that Alan F is a XJW. Does this mean that he is disfellowshipped or disassociated? If not, Why not?

scholar

• scholar
    scholar

Gamaliel

I have long since claimed that a scholarly presentation of 607 and the Gentile Times is long overdue. The matter of the Seventy Years could be subject of a dissertation or thesis because such a subject warrants some scholarly attention. The subject has been covered in some journals but a comprehensive overview is in my opinion long overdue. I believe Furuli's research will at least be valuable contribution to the debate on 607 but will have wait see how and if he treats the seventy years. I am not surprised that such issues are treated in the manner that appears in the WT publications as such publications are not written for the scholarly community.

Jonsson's GTR is as you say an exposure of WT chronology but it also is an hypothesis as it presents an interpretation of both biblical and secular evidence and presents some radical views in support of his hypothesis. There is no way that the view that 586/587 and 607 can be viewed as Absolute Dates and no reputable scholar would make such a claim.

If you believe that Fred Franz had misgivings about 607 then that is your right as you claim to have conversed with him. I cannot imagine for a moment how or why he would have had such doubts. Methinks your imagination has overtaken your excitement and privilige with having such a dialoque with a distinguished Bible scholar.

Yes I obtained my undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in Religious studies long after my baptism as a Witness in fact exactly 30 years. I was caused to do so becuse of a series of radio programs on the ABC hosted by the late Professor Eric.J. Sharpe at the University of Sydney.

scholar

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

You'd think a "scholar" would have better spelling.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit