Should it be called the disfellowshipping arrangement or the shunning arrangement.

by poopie 14 Replies latest jw friends

• poopie
    poopie
    I here jw saying the df arrangement is loveing is the shunning arrangement also loveing?
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

Good point, I think most people agree that a religion, or a Club or Association should have the right to expel members who flout their rules.

What they do not have is the right to treat such ones subsequently in a way that is hateful in itself.

I agree 100% with what my Therapist said, when I told her of the Shunning "arrangement", she said :

"In that case I think JW's have no right to call themselves Christian".

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    "Arrangement" concedes too much already - as if it is orderly and decent. "Practice" would be the more neutral term. Practice of shunning/disfellowshipping/exclusion/excommunication, whatever.
  • Simon
    Simon

It's definitely a practice, not an arrangement which implies some sort of buy-in / consent.

I also wouldn't say it is hateful in itself. It certainly lacks love and compassion an may provide some with an excuse to act in a hateful way but mostly it's just expulsion of members (but not always because they flouted any rules).

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

I wonder if its more of an edict than a practice. The Shunning Edict/ Disfellowshipping Edict.

I only say edict as that it is defined as a command.

• sir82
    sir82

"The enforced shunning edict".

It is enforced because a JW could be disfellowshipped himself if he does not join in with the shunning.

• elderINewton
    elderINewton

forgive the humor but its mid-week.

Absolutely Required Shunning Edict (or ARSE for short). So when someone is naughty you have to be an ARSE to them.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Well said Newton!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

The reality is that you don't even need to be disfellowshipped to be shunned.

Pure gossip and innuendo spread slyly through the congregation members is enough to make them act like we are the devil himself...

I have seen it in action....

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The reality is that you don't even need to be disfellowshipped to be shunned.

Pure gossip and innuendo spread slyly through the congregation members is enough to make them act like we are the devil himself..."

Yes...we are experiencing that. They "mark" you! They may not know any facts but just listen to others gossip. You really don't know how deep this goes until you feel it yourself. It's a real eye opener. As much as it hurts, it is well worth the freedom we feel. Free at last!!!!

I read an article written by Oprah regarding gossip . She stated that gossip is an assassination attempt by cowards (insecure people). She's right...cowards!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit