Drinking expensive drinks - seriously looked down upon as a JW

by Anony Mous 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

If you get counseled for consuming [X] drinks, it's a pretty safe bet that the elder giving the counsel regularly consumes [2X] or even [3x] at a go.

"Ability to hold your liquor without appearing to be drunk" is one of the top "unwritten" requirements for being an elder, along with "10+ hours of field service per month" and "does his family do anything embarrassing?".

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    mousy - JW, drinking a good wine or other liquor was looked down upon. It’s better to put that money towards the worldwide work donations

Of course it was. The sanctimonious narcissists are all over the bOrg.

I wonder what TOMO 111's excuse is? Isn't he always peed as a newt?

I often find that the most self righteous, virtue signalling people have the most sordid filth to hide.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

All depends where you were and the type of congregation you were in. There’s no rule against such drinks .

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Is it better to have a small amount of a very expensive wine or liquor, or huge amounts of the cheapest stuff you can get your hands on? And, who's business is it what you spend your money on anyways? You might spend more on fine wine or liquor, I spend more on collection coins (including silver coins in high grades). It is none of their business.

That is, unless you choose to drink and drive. Then I have a problem, as should everyone else that values safety. I don't care what you drink, if you drink and drive, you are going to pay with someone's life and maybe your own unless you get a very expensive cop stop for drink driving.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Glenfiddich is a fantastic Scotch whisky.

I think it's best enjoyed neat in a tumbler glass.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@wtwizard: I’ve done both, the expensive stuff is better in small amounts. Being shitfaced drunk gets old after about 3 days (at least for me) and stops being attractive when you wake up in vomit again. I’ve done it all after I left the dubs, as Solomon supposedly said:

I tried cheering myself with wine…

I built houses, I amassed silver and gold, I acquired a harem, I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;

I refused my heart no pleasure.

My heart took delight in all my labor,
    and this was the reward for all my toil.
    Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
    and what I had toiled to achieve,
    everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
    nothing was gained under the sun.
  • wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

Some congregations in hick towns can be this way but most are not

i actually live in an area where good alcohol and fine food is appreciated. Dinners at families homes are usually indulgent. I like where I live

where I grew up now that’s a different story. Everyone were cheapskates

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit