Drinking expensive drinks - seriously looked down upon as a JW

by Anony Mous 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I remember when I was a JW, drinking a good wine or other liquor was looked down upon. It’s better to put that money towards the worldwide work donations I always got told. So the best thing I ever got was Johnny Walker Red back then (Johnny Walker is cheap blend)

Also talking about drinking, serious stumbling block for some. So not a lot of (good and faithful) witnesses enjoy the finer aspects of life. Also cooking expensive and extensive meals, that was bad because we could’ve spent that time in an extra few hours of field service.

I was thinking of this while enjoying a home cooked lobster ravioli meal with a fresh tomato cream sauce with a 2016 Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Even the kids loved it (the food, not the drink).

Do you guys enjoy the ‘finer things’ following in Jesus footsteps of “the poor you will always have with you”. Also in my liquor cabinet: a number of single malts Macallan, Glenfiddich and Balvenie - I can’t afford them on the regular but my wife gets a bottle once in a while for major holidays (Christmas) or my birthday.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

Walker red is a mixer scotch, Blue being the top end and I believe all Walker is blended. I buy Deanston and lismore single malt. They are inexpensive but you are getting a lot for your money. Bourbon, I stick to Buffalo Trace, Eagle rare, Blantons, E.H Taylor. My local walmart gets these alloted to them every Tuesday. If I feel up to it I can get in line at 8am and possibly get some. But I was buying to resell as I have several bottles and I don't go through but one every year or so. Not a big drinker but once in a while a nice scotch or bourbon on the rocks is nice. And the cult can go fuck them-self. I would not give them a damn dime if it had the plague on it. Well maybe if it had the plague on it.

• minimus
    minimus

I always had a huge supply of liquor. I actually built a custom made bar and circuit and district overseers as well as elders would always imbibe. I never had an issue with having good booze or food while I was a JW or enjoying nice vacation la.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Tony the Turd was caught on camera buying over $700 of the "good stuff", and he's in good standing. Although with that enormous paunch of his don't know how long he'll be standing.

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Let it be said there is a lot of bullshit hypocrisy in JWS congregations.

So is it at Bethel HQ, right Tony Morris ?

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@rocketman: so you’re saying that the money I didn’t spend on a nice bottle back then and put in the donation box, still went to a nice bottle, just not for me. Ironic.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

In the last congregation I was in booze was never a problem or an issue with Elders or MS as I was .We drank and partied at social functions toned down according to worldly parties I guess but we still had plenty of food and booze and nobody complained .

And this was from the 1970`s to the 1990`s in S.E.Qld one of the more relaxed congregations I was ever in.

Maybe that was one reason why it took me so long to wake up .

• Rocketman123
    Rocketman123

Sort of AM .

I've seen elders give talks on materialism and worldly desires while wearing a super expensive suit and then watch him walk to his brand new Cadillac and drive off.

Thats blatant hypocrisy

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    I remember when I was a JW, drinking a good wine or other liquor was looked down upon.

Hoo-wee, I can tell we never belonged to any of the same congregations.

In most if not all of the congregations I attended, your popularity was directly correlated to the quality of the booze you provided at your parties drinking bouts get-togethers.

You knew you were "in good" with Brother X if he pulled you aside, or invited you to stay a bit longer after everyone else left, and he'd pull out "the really good stuff".

• Overrated
    Overrated

Hey, I smell a rat. I use to work for an elder and was told / counseled on drunkenness, all I had was two beers after work!?! And Tight Pants Tony buys top Scotch WTF? And I have a drinking problem?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit