EU court upholds an employer's right to ban religious symbols

by careful 16 Replies latest social current

• careful
    careful

First I should say that I do not like Islam for multiple reasons, not the least of which is the Moslem treatment of women. Still, the free exercise of anyone's peaceful observance of their religion, including Moslems, trumps my personal preferences. Also, living in America, I evidently enjoy a greater degree of religious liberty than I see in recent years in continental Europe, something that continues to baffle me.

Today the European Court of Justice, the same group that has stood up for the rights of JWs, has decreed that it is OK for employers to ban the wearing of religious symbols among employees.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/03/14/top-eu-court-rules-employers-can-ban-visible-religious-symbols-including-islamic-headscarves/99156814/

Obviously the target is the hijab, but one can only wonder if Jewish yarmulkes or kippot (men's skull caps) will be next. Then what about all the "JWdotOrg" jewelry among Witnesses? It has rapidly come to be for JWs what the cross has long been for Catholics and mainstream Protestants.

Your thoughts?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Why bring religious symbols to the workplace, anyway?

• cofty
    cofty

I think an employer should have the right to insist on an entirely secular environment at work.

One of the ladies involved in the case was a receptionist. You would not allow an employee who deals face-to-face with your customers to wear a political badge in case it alienated some of your customers. The same should apply to religion.

• Simon
    Simon
    Obviously the target is the hijab, but one can only wonder if Jewish yarmulkes or kippot (men's skull caps) will be next

You are falling for the bad reporting. The ruling is for _all_ religious symbols or none. If you are picking and chosing then you are discriminating.

Certain media try to make it about their group (Islam) as though they are singled out, they are not. Fake news.

Any employer should be free to set the standards for how their employee's dress and represent the company as long as they treat everyone equally.

• careful
    careful

EO, many religious people feel their religious beliefs carry over to all aspects of their lives, including their places of employment. I do not wear any religious symbols to work or elsewhere, but should a Jew be forced to take off his kippah or a Catholic woman her cross?

crofty, So should a Jewish receptionist have to take off his kippah?

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

This could open a can of worms tho.

What if the employer bans religious symbols such as the hijab, but allows someone to wear a jewelry with a cross?

What if the employer is adept of a certain religion and wishes to have its religious symbol at the workplace. Can an employee of a different religion feel offended and demand that the symbol is withdrawn?

• bohm
    bohm

EdenOne: That is what I was thinking...

I would hate to be the one to decide on a law such as this.

• cofty
    cofty
    So should a Jewish receptionist have to take off his kippah?

Yes an employer should be allowed to decline to employ somebody who insists on wearing any religious dress or jewelry.

many religious people feel their religious beliefs carry over to all aspects of their lives, including their places of employment.

Belief is not an issue.

What if the employer bans religious symbols such as the hijab, but allows someone to wear a jewelry with a cross?

That would be discrimination.

What if the employer is adept of a certain religion and wishes to have its religious symbol at the workplace. Can an employee of a different religion feel offended ...

Yes

...and demand that the symbol is withdrawn?

No

• careful
    careful

Simon, I checked a dozen reports. All agree that the lawsuit stems from a Moslem woman, Samira Achbita, who brought the suit in Belgian court.

In the NY Times coverage of the matter, there is this observation:

“It is a very bold step,” said Camino Mortera-Martinez, a research fellow at the Center for European Reform in Brussels, describing the ruling as a landmark decision, if also a political and pragmatic one. “Recently we have seen the court being much more attentive to the political winds rather than being so legalistic, because of the recognition that the E.U. is at risk of collapse.”

(https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/world/europe/headscarves-ban-european-court.html?_r=0)

Certainly food for thought. I am struck with how Europe has been changing when it comes to civil liberties. What ever happened to "liberté, égalité, fraternité"?

• cofty
    cofty
    What ever happened to "liberté, égalité, fraternité"?

Nothing at all.

Everybody in Europe is free to believe and worship as they wish. Employers are free to ask employees to keep it out of the workplace.

America panders to religion too much. It is only going to get worse under Trump.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit