Chairman of the St Petersburg-based Administrative Centre of JWs issues press release - Forum 18

by OrphanCrow 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dsp: And that's the very opposite to Christmas - when lots of letters (cards) are being delivered, not to a single address, but too all differant addresses.
    100,000 letters to one address = one van full of post bags = time / postman/woman easy.
    100,000 letters to 100,000 different addresses = very very time consuming.
    So thanks for highlighting that - it's a combination of what a lack of education and not celebrating Christmas does.....

heehee...you are so cute.

You have left out a critical component of what is happening inside of those postal systems. You are only looking at the end point and have disregarded the postal networks that those letters arrive through. Think of how a toilet flushes...the swirl before it all disappears...or gets plugged and can't pass. And imagine that toilet not working very well to begin with

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

heehee...you are so cute.

thanks

I did wonder about the amount of postage and stepped back to see the bigger picture... and it's a massive picture.... and I think the WT is perhaps getting too much credit.

For some context....

If you say US JWs alone send 6 million letters in total spread over seven days?

But the US Postal Service says it actually processes and delivers 500 MILLION pieces of mail EACH day

6 million of (500 million x 7 days) = is that less than 0.25% of all post that would be WT generated? - yes?

In delivery logistics, the most time consuming part is the so-called 'last-mile' - that's not a big issue for the WT letters, because they're really all going to the same place (ok, six places, but not 6 million different places)

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-facts/one-day-by-the-numbers.htm

In the UK, competitors to the UK's Royal Mail fall down with the logisitics of the 'last-mile' - that's the final part of the route to the actual door of the address (ie the door-to-door postal deliveries).

I'm not saying there will be a bit of congestion, but not on the scale some seem to be talking up, not on the above numbers.

I suspect also for political reasons (?) the Russian Post will publically minimise any perceived problems they might be having.

I don't have time, but for those interested also check out the Universal Postal Union - it deals with international post - and deals with 'terminal dues' - the amount of money the Russian Post will take from the postage being paid worldwide.

http://www.upu.int/en/activities/terminal-dues-and-transit-charges/about-terminal-dues-and-transit-charges.html

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    dsp: I'm not saying there will be a bit of congestion, but not on the scale some seem to be talking up, not on the above numbers.

Well...let's watch and see. It will be interesting.

The impact will be (*or maybe not?) felt on an already poorly functioning Russian postal system. But, I am sure, once the other countries so nicely sort it all out and have it pre-bagged...it makes for an easy solution once it hits the Russian borders.

Yes, overloads of political mailings, once the postal service figures out what is happening, is handled as bulk bagging - to make it easier on the guys down the line. I used to be a postie long ago...in another life, in a land far, far away...and I have bagged stuff like that up at the local level. At the very least, I snapped rubberbands around it before it was tossed in the "international" bag...to be sorted at least once more before heading out over the great pond

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit