So which of the JW Teachings did you never buy into?

by berylblue 22 Replies latest jw friends

• kat_newmas
    kat_newmas

I also could not justify shunning people, in my conceince. It seemed to go against everything the bible stood for... (fruits of the spirit)

I didnt believe, from childhood, that God was not Omnipitent (sp?) or all knowing. The concept of "tempting" eve with a peice of fruit, seemed to also go against the statement that "God is a loving God", (but that belief is not original to JW's) My mother used to tell me that if you 'saw" him you would go blind... which to me meant that God isnt something we were really meant to fully comprehend for now. Yet they claim to know what God wants right down to (covering heads, and filling out time-cards)

I also believed that (cover your eyes ladies) masturbation was not some "unnatural act" .... I mean, they teach that sex in general can not be for pleasure, and it isnt natural to want it... It IS by my observations the most basic human instinct (apart from eating) for just about every life-form on earth.

I also could not justify that all its members should engage in House to House work.... To me that is a very heavy responsibility to go to the home of another, and claim to have the only path to God. Children who have not even "reached an age of understanding" have no business trying to make life changing decisions, for another human being like that. But they must be forgiven...."for they (truly) know not what they do". However, I would someday like to be given the opprutunity to go back and "staighten out" all the people I was forced, to impose these views on. How's that for the ultimate Apostate? And I truly hope that nobody I ever talked to is still a member of this cult, because of my actions. When I was very young, I remember a bible study we used to conduct every week with a very poor woman, and her three children (absent father) I remember that she seemed intimidated into it. very sad.

I cannot say that I have proof, or am justified.... these are just some of the things I couldn't buy into myself.... I could go on... and on... (like the energizer bunny)

• freeman
    freeman

I’ve always had problems with the literal interpretation of Genesis. I have no training in anthropology or biology whatsoever, however as someone who has a highly technical background I found it very hard to accept this writing as anything other then an allegorical account written for the simple sheepherders of the day.
    I also had some problems with all the scuttlebutt attributed to those pesky demons. I often silently questioned the intelligence / gullibility of those that believed such things.

These days I question my own intelligence / gullibility in ever getting involved with this religion in the first place.

Freeman

• Francois
    Francois

There are so many.

I never bought into the "type" and "antitype" B.S. where the WTBTS applied all the typical stuff to themselves. It read just like Alice in Wonderland to me.

I rejected the entire idea of taking the scriptures as being literally true.

If I had needed a blood transfusion, I would have accepted it. In fact, I did accept 3 units of whole blood which, btw, saved my fanny from certain death.

I rejected the "elder arrangement"

And in the end, I rejected the entire organization as nothing more than a group of men with delusions of grandeur; a cult and nothing more.

francois

• TemeculaMole
    TemeculaMole

At the tender age of 15 I was telling myself that the whole 1914 and the generation passibg away thing was BS. Sure enough it was.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

That there is ONE TRUE RELIGION...and it's housed in Brooklyn...I mean c'mon...God would have picked a much nicer brough to be his mouth piece right?

• Gopher
    Gopher

I was an abject follower of the JW's, and tried my best to live up to it (until I got booted).

However I had simmering doubts about certain things:

-- That only Jehovah's Witnesses show real love. C'mon now...

-- That all the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled in the modern-day Watchtower movement, including the two-witness prophecy, the locust invasion, etc., etc.

-- That Jesus was the mediator for only the "little flock" of anointed ones. (If he's not my Mediator, then why in the h&ll was I praying "in his name"?)

But I suppressed those and other nagging doubts, hopeful that this religion had "more good things than bad" in it.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Only Jehovah's Witnesses are approved of by God

Blood (although I would probably have refused it if I had been in that situation)

Salvation is earned through works

But mainly, the attitude more than any one teaching or doctrine. Their arrogance, judgment on others and relentless guilt trips showed me this is where I did not belong.

• OICU8it2
    OICU8it2

I felt bad because I couldn't totally beleive the "2 witnesses" explanation. There must be something spiritually wrong wiith me, I thought. Also, the idea that only babtized dubs get their prayers heard. The explanation of the 6 creative days being just 42000 years in length. Spiders' design. The fact that if you sin you need to get help from the elders, or even if you know of a sin from someone else. Their explanation of John 5:28, 29. Towards the end, it was mostly the continuous self-adulation of and forced servitude of the society. It seemed as if everything they wrote had subtle prods imbedded to get out more in the field. I remember feeling bad about one statement in the WT study that said something like: " to the extent that you love Jehovah, you will be out in service every chance." Also felt my prayers were hindered because I couldn't justify not full- time pioneering and never put the mags in the windshild during vacations-actually the only vacations I scraped for were the district assemblies.

• Black Man
    Black Man

That the 7 trumpet blasts in Revelation applied to some obscure conventions held in Ohio in 1922.............

• Loris
    Loris
    -- That all the prophecies in Revelation were fulfilled in the modern-day Watchtower movement, including the two-witness prophecy, the locust invasion, etc., etc.

I did not buy into the part where every possible account or person in the Bible was an "anti-type" of THEM the almighty WTS. I would say a quiet "whatever" and read on. I could never force myself to answer questions at the study dealing with that stuff. How come something didn't click inside my brain years ago? Brain dead I guess. I went along with the flow. -kicking myself in the back sides-

Loris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit