The "Good Old Days" - what made em' good?

by Terry 29 Replies latest jw friends

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Good OP, Terry.

We tend to remember only the best parts of the past, whilst at the same time being neophobic (meaning: fear of change or anything new).

So, for me, 70s and 80s films are better than the crap Hollywood serves us today. I don't know how true that sentiment is but it's definitely my feeling.

I also think Diego Maradona, Eric Cantona and Zinedine Zidane are better soccer players than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi for the same reason.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

There is a mechanism in the brain that remembers Good and tends to forget or minimise Pain or Bad.

Thats a big reason why.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

FYI: Amos 'N Andy was voiced by WHITE PEOPLE doing imitations of "southern Negroes."

Ahhhhhh yesssss! The "Good ol' Days!"

My late grandmother was born in 1918. She lived thru the Great Depression, WWII, Korea, Cuban Missile Crisis, JFK, RFK, Vietnam, Cold War, JW's, both Gulf Wars, 9/11.

I can assure you she had some fond memories of her time growing up in the Great Depression, but going barefoot and eating potato-rock soup wasn't one of them.

Perspective.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

I agree with blondie. Selective memory. But I was 20. We forget about appendicitis being fatal,polio, infant mortality, ether instead of fentanyl in OR, car crashes that were often fatal because of no padded dashes. What we think we remember didn't exist, and our parents suffered from the same

• rickroll
    rickroll

They were good in some respects no so good in others. Today most youth live in their rooms and on a phone or in some tablet. They have not idea of how to interact with others or what its like to run and play outside all summer long. Better today in that you have a lot of choice in shopping, if you need brakes for your auto you can get on line do research and find what will work best and several videos on how to install if you don't know how. Although most Millennial don't know a socket wrench from a hammer. Streets were safer then over now. Simple things were a lot of joy, now it seems it needs to be some huge comicon fantasy BS to get anyone under the age of 30 excited. The not living in reality of the youth today is scary. They think everything is owed them.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RICKROLL:

I agree with your post that the good old days were better in some respects but not so good in others. It is great that we have new inventions and cures for certain diseases, etc.

But modern times seem to lack what the good old days had especially with regard to youth going out and playing like in the years past. I thought it was great that we went out and played, climbed trees, etc. and it’s a sad thing that some young people just sit addicted to their devices. This is NOT normal.. There is going to be a physical and psychological price to be paid for this at some point I’m sure.. Ditto what you said about some who imagine everything is ‘owed’ to them like they were some entitled rich kid.

• sir82
    sir82

I once saw a museum exhibit of dental tools in use in the 19th & early 20th century.

That alone cured me of any wistfulness regarding the thought of living in an earlier era.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

What made 'em good?

The freedom to make us racist, sexist, and homophobic slurs!

Oh, wait...

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Funny how this generation is both condemned for isolating themselves with technology, and at the same time condemned for oversharing with friends online and being too woke to social issues.

• hoser
    hoser

I’m with blondie on this one. Humans tend to block out the bad times. Two generations before me had:

No running water

An outhouse

Poor medical care

A grade 8 education

No central heating in small drafty house

But they had a radio and that made it all better

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit