Even Now, You Haunt Me...

by Garrett 16 Replies latest jw friends

• jesscd
    jesscd
    My husband was raised a catholic. It will but won't matter. She will never totally understand - and that is why forums like this are vital to connect with those who do understand. Don't expect her to understand, but let her know. Honestly it mostly gets you sympathy points. : ) If you are serious and pursue to marriage and children that might make a difference. I fought to not have our children raised as catholics or any religion - and not to be baptized, even though his family were pretty adamant. When I explained my reasoning and my plan of educating the children in all beliefs and letting them make an informed decision as adults he relented and now is totally on board with the concept.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I've told two people about my cult past and though I'm not dating either, they only cared to the extent that they're interested in me personally, and there's some curiosity related to cult stuff in general. So far as I can tell it hasn't made either of them think less of me in any way. Try not to get yourself too worried about how "worldly" people will treat you or react to things... They're generally more understanding than JWs, in my experience.
  • Warren Wilson
    Warren Wilson
    Why do you have to tell her?
  • Sabin
    Sabin

Honesty is the best policy.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GARRETT:

All the posters have given you good advice. It is not important that you were once a Witness. You can stop feeling ashamed.

While it is not something I'd mention on a first date, at some point I would make a reference to it. I'd say that I credit them for why I stopped smoking and then I would drop it.

What if somebody once lived in a commune? It means zero here and now. Like somebody said, change the narrative in your head and you will be fine. This is not the only thing that defines you! You will have other experiences, and I hope they are happy ones!😊

• blondie
    blondie

Just remember that Catholics have strong beliefs too, many insisting that the children be baptized as Catholics and at times their spouse.

Be sure that doesn't interfere with your future lives.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7
    I think she will be fascinated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit