Do You Still Not Do Things That A JW Wouldn't Do?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Would you feel uncomfortable standing up for the National Anthem? Would you think twice if you were saw a disfellowshipped person? Would you act like you were still a Witness if you saw a JW that hasn't seen you in a long time?

• freedom96
    freedom96

I do whatever I feel is right.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

My belief system has been fairly fluid the past few years. Although Nina and I have started celebrating holidays and birthdays (my son just had his first birthday party yesterday), I personally am not comfortable with Halloween. I'm also not comfortable with getting involved in politics, although I have been drawn offside the past couple of days with some of the Iraq war talk. Neither position is strictly because of the Witnesses however.

Having said that, one impact the Witnesses did have on me is the matter of judging others. This is a big deal to me, and I cannot judge others. I may disagree or criticize but not sit in judgment. I know how it feels, and I would never want to make another person feel that way.

• minimus
    minimus

Big Tex, all I can say is that when the congregation lost you, they lost a good man.....minimus of the "BIG TEX class"....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Oh Minimus, the check is in the mail.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Like many of you, I have done similarly:

I have voted, several times.

I drink and have been drunk more times than I could ever count.

I don't smoke (anything).

Drugs? nope.....I've seen too much damage from others, so I could view the lessons from nearby.

Sex: yup (plenty) - these days, it's whenever.

Holidays: well most of them don't mean anything to me, but to meet with friends and go to a party, sure. I celebrate with indifference.

I do swear like a trooper sometimes.

As far as standing for the national anthem, I have NO problem with that.

Give blood? If I could, I would. [rules are strict these days, so the only one I can do is: autologous (for myself, rh neg. blood type)]

Gone into many different types of churches for weddings etc., no big deal. Not inclined to join any of them any time soon.

Guess I'm pretty much out of the borg, aren't I?

• acsot
    acsot

Teenyuck said: I have used the terms "Borg" and "dubs" with my mother...without even realizing it. I told her she is deaf and/or misunderstood me.

That's hysterical! I'm still officially 'in' but have almost said the same things, particularly when someone is being particularly borg-like as in "it's true because the Society says it's true and if the Society says it's true then it is".

I've had no problem wishing people Happy Birthday or Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukah < sp ? >, in spite of still being exposed to the borg mind-set. It's my way of trying to connect with people after so many years of keeping them at arm's length. And I will raise my glass in a toast, for the same reason.

I gave out candy to the neighbourhood kids at Hallowe'en, again because it was for kids and they were all so cute in their funny home-made costumes (I live in a rather poor neighbourhood).

Don't vote, don't even know how to go about it, getting registered and all that. It's not a priority now but when I know I eventually will vote, maybe even get involved in an election campaign.

I've been giving to charities for years, notwithstanding being a dub, so that hasn't changed.

I'm nervous about spiritism, Ouija boards, Tarot readings, etc. But love reading about Taoism, Buddhism, etc.

And all of the above within about seven months. I guess I was emotionally and mentally ready to leave years ago!

• Warrigal
    Warrigal

I do most anything that isn't illegal, immoral or fattening....the standards I use today. Have been voting for the past 2 years and always say 'bless you' when someone sneezes.

Quit smoking in ' 86 and have no desire to return to the habit...either ciggies or drugs. Sometimes have a beer or glass of wine, but not when I'm driving.

I guess I live by the standards that are right for me and not those dictated by a quasi-religious organization.

Warrigal

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

OK ! Just for you MINIMUS,Here goes ! # 1) Yep ! # 2) Nope ! # 3) Yep ! # 4) Nope ! # 5) Nope ! # 6) Yep !

Now, if these same questions were asked by the Society ? It's # 1) Nope ! # 2) Yep ! # 3) Nope ! # 4) Yep ! # 5) Yep ! # 6) Nope !

All numbers correspond to each opposing question.

Blueblades

• minimus
    minimus

Warrigal, You best not be drinking beer or a glass of wine while you're driving....Blue...you're giving me too much proofreading work to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit