Pew Research:"88% of JWs read scripture outside of religious services at least once a week" ...Highest of all religions

by Wild_Thing 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/05/07/blacks-more-likely-than-others-in-u-s-to-read-the-bible-regularly-see-it-as-gods-word/

Graph in article:

I doubt this statistic. I wonder if the JWs polled considered reading a partially quoted scripture in their literature as "reading scripture". If their question used the word "scripture" instead of "bible", I believe it was misleading question. To me, "reading the Bible" and "reading scripture" are not exactly the same thing.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Well, I know a lot don't do it, but there are a lot that do take the org's command to "read God's word the holy Bible daily" seriously. I know when I was mentally in for as long as I remember I was told to do this and I did it. Most of my family and friends did to. It's just an old JW custom, they even had those words emblazoned on the side of the Bethel factory building for decades. That being said, the type of "Bible reading" most JWs engage in isn't really Bible reading in its most raw form. It is ALWAYS through the lens of dogma and usually accompanied by JW literature. If a JW actually read the Bible by itself with a clear head and opened mind, they would 'revert' if you will to the basic beliefs of the churches. As a matter of fact, if any JW is known to harbor different beliefs or to have even small, private Bible reading/study groups with other JWs, they could be subject to accusations of apostasy and disfellowshipping.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

The Pharisees of the 1st century were known to be avid readers of the Hebrew writings of God. The Pharisees were also crooked as all hell. There's a religion today that reminds me of the Pharisees...I can't think of their name off hand, but they go by the initials...JWs! :-) :-)

• asp59
    asp59

It doesn't matter how much they read the Bible cause they are forbidden to question GBs teachings haha.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Amusing that the “general public” is more likely to read the Bible than a mainline Protestant.

Still relying on 2014 survey. Isn’t it about time they did another one?

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen

The beauty of Pew's research is that they make their methods known too.

The wording of the question used was: Please tell me, how often do you read scripture outside of religious services?

I think that to many a JW this would include the daily text, any scripture the regurgitate in FS, any scripture they read while preparing for the meetings. Don't forget JW are expected to do all of that....and 12% apparently doesn't even get that far.

Also keep in mind that JW are made to feel more compulsion and guilt when it comes to religious behavior. It's one thing to privately not read the Bible every week despite the GB saying you must.....but actually admitting that to yourself by saying it out loud, and giving a bad witness to this worldly surveyor... that's even harder....

• polish clarinet
    polish clarinet

we are the champions, my friends !!!! ans we'll keep on fighting till the end !!!

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

I think a JW answering the survey question would include the daily text or looking up a scripture cited in the magazines. As far as contiguous reading of the Bible, JWs do much less of that.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

.....and they don't lie on their field circus reports either.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Still relying on 2014 survey. Isn’t it about time they did another one?

The first study was conducted in 2007, the second was in 2014. I would guess the next survey will not be conducted until 2021.

That doesn't seem very often, but it takes a long time for attitudes to change about religion, so every seven years is probably just right.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit