May 2019 Watchtower doubles down on the "Two Witness Rule" !

by stuckinarut2 46 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• dougobrien2019
    dougobrien2019

Reading through the May 2019 Watchtower on child abuse handling I find that the GB wants the general congregants to feel warm and fuzzy, that "big brother" has got your back. On page 9, paragraph 7 they call it a "sin" against the authorities. Clearly, it's a violation of law therefore a crime. The authorities are not a duly appointed organization of God. More compelling is page 10, paragraph 13. The question is asked at the beginning of the paragraph..."Do elders comply with secular laws about reporting an allegation of child abuse to the secular authorities? Yes. In places where such laws exist, elders endeavor to comply with secular laws about reporting allegations of abuse." I get the take from the way this is worded that if the law does not require the reporting of such a crime that elders will not do so.

Paragraph 16 still "protects" the abuser from judicial action in that there are not two witnesses to the abuse, the elders cannot proceed with judicial action. That the perpetrator is still allowed to remain in the congregation is brought out as flows "Even if the charge of wrongdoing cannot be established by two witnesses, the elders recognize that a serious sin may have been committed...The elders remain alert regarding the alleged abuser to protect the congregation from potential danger." All the while the victim would have to remain in close proximity to the abuser as he/she is still an active member although under suspicion. How can the elders provide ongoing support for such a victim??

Geoffery Jackson, while on the witness stand during the Australia Commission, was asked if Jesus would likely apply Deuteronomy 22:25-27 in a case involving child abuse where only one witness was involved instead of the two witness rule. The incident in Deuteronomy involved a case a woman who was raped and no one heard her screams. The man was to be put to death and the woman was innocent. Jackson kind of laughed and said he didn't know but said he hope to ask Jesus that question personally in the future. I got a hint of a cocky attitude from Jackson and his demeanor. Jackson also said that the two witness rule could involve "circumstances" of the case but he did not elaborate. I do not believe that WT policy or the elder's handbook ever say anything about the circumstances regarding the two witness rule. Correct me if I am wrong.

In paragraph 18 if a judicial hearing is formed and the abuser is "repentant", the elders out of concern for the welfare of children, may privately warn the parents of minors in the congregation to monitor their children's interactions with the individual. No such action is taken where there are not two witnesses and no judicial action has been taken against the accused.

In short, WT has taken a step in the right direction but has still not made any admissions of mishandling past cases or offered any apologies for such. This would probably undermine the faith of congregants and the image of WT something that they do not want to tarnish.

"Are you sure you are telling the truth about child abuse?"

• truthlover123
    truthlover123

This is really a sore spot with me.. they are still mishandling abuse cases.

In many lessons,they quote that Joseph did not have to have a law to tell him to run from Potiphars wife - he knew by his moral, internal code that it was wrong to have sex with her... - he did not have two witnesses there, he left yet the society claims just because there are a few lines dealing with adult situations, that there has to be two witnesses... Child abuse is not a theme in the bible, yet the nations were abusing their children, history shows that, and God said, do not do as the nations, do not sacrifice your children to false gods.... wasn't that a criteria??? Kids are to be protected......in every way...

How does this compute that child abuse needs two witnesses? It is the internal moral person that knows it is wrong. Two witness rule should not even enter the picture if an organization wants to be clean and moral about such a heinous crime... Children, put their faith in adults to do right -- pubs hand their kids over to "strangers" just because they are baptized and mostly hold a position because...….they are "spiritually appointed"- which spirit is now in question. (see Question 2 change on the organization baptism question)

This upcoming mag is a wash job... to soothe the conscience of those who truly want to believe these things are being handled properly...they are not!

My question;; who really are the wicked?

• Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

Sick. They want to help victims but they also do nothing to stop those who abuse children.

What a disgusting bunch of hypocrites.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

The manipulation in these articles is disgusting. I don't think I could sit thru these lessons at the KH. It made my blood boil just to skim read them. Those of us that know the real story of how the GB has been handling this child abuse scurge are just enraged by how boldly they are out right lying to the sheep!

• blondie
    blondie

I know jws who are still in who don't go to WT studies with material they find offensive. Eventually, they have stopped going to any meetings.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Elder commented during st study that ve sure to come next week to find out when reporting does have to be done. I can hardly wait to hear the local take on 2 witnesses

• flipper
    flipper

" Do elders comply with reporting to secular authorities...... about child abuse? "

WT articles answer " Yes ".

Bullshit. No they don't. They allow the victim and family of the victim to report to the authorities if they want to. WT Society demands elders to report FIRST and FOREMOST to WT legal department of any instances of child abuse, not report to secular authorities.

This entire article looks as if the GB and WT Society are trying to cover their own ass to their own JW members just to squelch any doubts or concerns about WT child abuse policies. And of course, like WT leaders do about most everything - they lie through their teeth to control their JW members. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• LV101
    LV101

WT is scum -- they know it's a LIE.

• Ding
    Ding

The fact that the WT won't take disciplinary action without two witnesses shouldn't prevent it from reporting allegations to the governing authorities.

In other words, even if its Bible interpretation were correct, that's no excuse for coverups.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

will they bring up how the child confronts the accused?

I am sick of that Joseph story---- shagging the bosses wife has always been a bad idea

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit