Encouraging the nasty angels of our nature

by Lee Elder 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

I see stories like this one, and think we are losing our way as a nation. Reverting to tribalism and racism. I wonder if its always been there lurking beneath the surface, and it just took someone to encourage it a bit.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/26/us/woman-berates-man-viral-rant-don-lemon-cnntv/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2018-06-26T08%3A30%3A04&utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN

• _Morpheus
  • _Morpheus
  • Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

Exactly. When our leaders fail to be civil, it encourages the masses towards incivility.

• jp1692
    jp1692

These incidents show why (and those of us that have studied history know) the hostile, divisive rhetoric of those in leadership positions is so dangerous.

There are a few voices of reason that rise above the din, but sadly there are quite a few that seem to deliberately incite hatred and violence.

In any organization the person at the top steps the tone and the standard for what is acceptable.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Yep. POTUS set the example and people feel encouraged. Say what you may about Obama's progressive policies, he was a man that was articulate, diplomatic, professional. Something Trump will never be, but for some strange reason the supporters don't care about civility and diplomacy. Strange times we live in.

• waton
    waton

Kudos for these hardworking latinos, excelling in 2 jobs. Was hosted by their countrymen during the 2017 eclipse, and they had the best tended gardens. pride in their share of US soil, but not soul.

If you do not assimilate, and as a result stand out, even are outstanding, it can backfire. Think of the jewish people in Germany, having more german names than the germans, outstanding in many fields. A truly sad story. Hopefully Israel is the safe way out. Putting distance between you and the others is a great idea. imho.

• sir82
    sir82

I wonder if its always been there lurking beneath the surface, and it just took someone to encourage it a bit.

This. Exactly.

The current tribalism and ugliness did not arise in a vacuum.

It has always been there, but was more or less suppressed.

It took the right combination of people, events, and unlimited access to unfiltered propaganda to allow it to be uncovered.

I have no idea how it gets fixed. It's just depressing and discouraging.

• Lee Elder
    Lee Elder

My thought would be that ending Gerrymandering would be a good place to start. If candidates come from more diverse districts, it will become impossible for candidates on the outer fringes of either party to come to power.

• never a jw
    never a jw

"and unlimited access to unfiltered propaganda"

Some people here worry about mainstream media. Yes, they lean left heavily, but try to adhere to journalistic standards and are crucified when they don't. The bigger problem is the new media: talk radio, internet, social networks. In these places there's no journalistic standards at all. Fake news, illegal immigration, identity politics and Islamists gave us Trump. Having listened to conservative talk radio for over 20 years, I can assure you president Donald Trump and the current tribalism wouldn't be possible without this media. Conservative talk radio is a f..ing cult too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit