New musical video on jw.org / humour or sad??

by Gorb 13 Replies latest jw friends

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

The two examples of new WT musical productions in this thread (I'm using "new" as a relative term; it's 20 years since I was aware of things WT) make me think that they are trying to create a Hillsong style musical niche for themselves.

Why? Unless they copy other aspects of Hillsong, simply adopting a style for a few songs won't do much for WT's fortunes. Hillsong is a complete package, an experience. It's like walking into a professionally produced stageshow. Just updating a few songs to seem more modern and relevant is going to have what effect?

Just say WT releases some songs/videos that are catchy and go viral. Are people going to turn up at the Kingdom Halls out of curiosity? And if they do, what are they going find? A boring old Kingdom Hall; no stage lighting, no costuming, no dancing, no upbeat music, no entertainment!

Why have they changed? And what market do they think they are chasing?

• Journeyman
    Journeyman

In a couple of weeks they've got this example of musical genius - another one of their cringeworthy songs for kids in the Become Jehovah's Friend series (remove the b in borg):

https://www.jw.borg/en/library/music-songs/become-jehovahs-friend-children-original-songs/esther-had-courage/

Esther had a simple life
    When she was just a girl.
    Raised by her cousin Mordecai,
    She learned Jehovah’s will.
    Her life then changed so fast.
    She was chosen to be queen.
    Esther obeyed; she showed courage.
    So this teaches me:

(CHORUS)
    I want to be like Esther.
    She had courage; she was brave.
    She took a stand for Jehovah.
    I want to do the same.
    I want to be like Esther
    ’Cause she listened and obeyed.
    I want to be like her
    ’Cause Esther—she was brave.

Esther’s husband was the king,
    And he did not serve God.
    Still, she showed respect for him;
    For that she was cherished.
    And one day she was asked
    To stop a very evil scheme.
    Esther obeyed; she showed courage.
    So this teaches me:

(CHORUS)

Wait! What's that sound?

Oh yes, it's all the JWs who died before about 2005 spinning in their graves at what the org has become...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

melodramatic.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

“She obeyed!!! Take that all you independent, disobedient young sisters!! We got you in our sights and we’re coming after your rebellious _sses.”

WTC - A Jehovah’s Witnesses Corporation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit