The Deity of Jesus Christ

by Reciprocity 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Reciprocity
    Reciprocity

Fair warning, I am not a Jehovah's Witness believer, but I am curious about what it is you believe and why you believe it. So I am interested in talking to you instead of reading about you from my own Christian perspective. After all, who understands what Jehovah's Witness believes better than a Jehovah's Witness? With that in mind, I would like to discuss the deity of Jesus Christ. As I read scripture, I can't help but see his deity in every single book, especially the New Testament books. For instance, John 20:28 shows that Thomas calls the risen Jesus Christ, God, and John 10:30 says that even Jesus claimed that He and the Father are "one"! How and why can Jehovah's Witnesses reject Christ as God when scripture seems to assert otherwise?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Hi Reciprocity,

Welcome to the forum.

Just for your information, this is an ex-Jehovah Witness Forum. The rare Jehovah's Witness that shows up here is challenged by many who reject the Bible altogether.

Translation, you won't get much traction or debate with this subject; but you probably will needlessly provoke considerable criticism from an outspoken Atheist segment herein.

Better to start by introducing yourself and tell us where you are coming from and then feel free to comment on what you find before launching out with faith challenges.

Just a suggestion from a born-again believer.

Peace

Vanderhoven

• Reciprocity
    Reciprocity

Thanks for the heads up. Where can I find a good Jehovah's Witness forum to engage actual Jehovah's Witnesses?

• JeffT
    JeffT

Where can I find a good Jehovah's Witness forum to engage actual Jehovah's Witnesses?

My information may be out of date, I left the witnesses a number of years ago.

Short answer: you can't. Jehovah's Witnesses are told to stay off the internet except for a few approved sites. Any JW engaging with Non-JW's is disobeying his/her religion. There may be some, but they probably don't fit any reasonable definition of a "good" Witness.

• Earnest
    Earnest

Jehovah's Witnesses do believe in the divinity or deity of Christ. John is quite clear that the Word is god by nature, but is not the God with whom he is. After his resurrection he says (to Mary Magdalene) "I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God".

So, he is not God in the sense of being our God, Jehovah. Our God is his God. But he has the same nature as God, who is his head.

John 10:30 is quite instructive because Jesus makes quite clear what he is claiming. After saying "I and the Father are one", the Jews wanted to stone him for blasphemy. He then says to them (vs 36) "do you say to me ... 'You blaspheme,' because I said, 'I am God's Son' ?".

That is what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. If that is not clear enough there are plenty of threads on this board that debate the trinity ad nauseam which you can consult, e.g. Trinity Challenge for JWs (which goes on for 46 pages). Alternatively, you can access the JW website here and request someone contact you to discuss their beliefs.
  • Reciprocity
    Reciprocity

Earnest, do we have the same nature as God too? Or is Jesus special in this case?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

@Reciprocity

hint: strike 2, barking up the wrong tree fella.

Here is a better place for discussions on the Trinity.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-you-Jehovahs-Witnesses-deny-the-deity-of-Christ?q=Jehovah%20Witness%20on%20deity%20of%20Christ

There are oodles of Jws on Quora who are chomping at the bit waiting for you!

See you there.

Vander

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Earnest, do we have the same nature as God too? Or is Jesus special in this case?

Humans do not have the same nature as spirits β€”or God for that matter. As JW see it, Jesus was the firstborn of all creation, that is to say that Jesus is a creature, a separate entity than God but who is like God. But even Jesus in all his glory is not like God. Who is like God? Nobody. Not even Jesus.

It is axiomatic that Jesus and YHWH are 2 separate and distinct entities. You need to be able to understand this on your own.

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

I strongly disbelieve that the "Jehovah's Witnesses are told to stay off the internet except for a few approved sites". There was a time when the WT said (if I recall correctly) to avoid the internet, but later they instead said to avoid certain kinds of sites, such as those where apostate views would be stated and where immorality was likely to be promoted (such as in certain kinds of private chat rooms, as such were called in the 1990s).

Around the year 2013 the WT told me they won't provide to me a list of references/sources for the quotes of scientists in the Creator who Cares book (I had sent a letter to the WT asking for such), and that I should ask the elders if they have the information. I thus reluctantly I asked the elders (of the congregation I last attended) for the information (I knew they didn't have the information). They encouraged me to look for it on the internet, saying I would likely find it there.

• jhine
    jhine

Hi Reciprocity welcome , like you l am a never been a JW ( life long Anglican) I can confirm what Vandherhoven said. I just joined this group to find out more generally from exWitnesses about the WT .

Most folks on here are pretty much professional atheists ( but still a nice bunch πŸ˜‚ ) . Something about realising the truth about da truf as they might say leaves most with a very bitter taste in their mouths . Stick around on here for a while and you will have your eyes opened, l know l did .

The Quora suggestion is a good one , l have engaged with a couple of JWs on there. Mostly from answering questions asked about the WT then being targeted by Witnesses who don't like my answers.

That may seem odd but as l say stay on here as well and you will realise why . What you will get is some animosity from people if you try to preach .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit