Once you've proved the truth to yourself you don't need to keep trying to disprove it...

by cognisonance 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

I was told this during my judicial committee (some five years ago) when I brought up concerns I had with the "truth." In addition one of the elders (who was an engineer) said once you've accepted a proof of Pythagorus' theorem you don't later start doubting that theorem. I thought that argument was a weak analogy then. However, I now find this argument ironic after reading this:

https://profkeithdevlin.org/2014/11/24/what-is-a-proof-really

Namely:

How do we know that such and such “theorem” are true, if the proofs are almost certainly full of errors?

Well, we don’t. In mathematics, as in large parts of natural science, it is an unfair fight. We can “easily” show a purported proof is false by finding an error, but we can never know for sure that it is correct. (Even if you apply a formal proof checking technique, you can never know for sure there was not an error in that process.)

What happens in practice is that once several experts in the domain have examined the argument and declared themselves to be satisfied it is correct, then the rest of the mathematical community accepts that fact and moves on. The more people look at it, the more confident we get.

However, there have been times when this process was eventually found to have gone wrong. Arguments that have been accepted for some time are subsequently found to have a fatal flaw. That’s why mathematicians are reluctant to ever say something is totally correct.
  • Londo111
    Londo111

The problem is I didn't prove it to be the truth through unbiased research. For instance, I didn't prove to myself about 607 and 1914, ect... I basically took the word of what was written in the Watchtower.

• jp1692
    jp1692

How about this: Once you've proved to yourself that JWs absolutely do NOT have "the Truth," you don't need to keep proving it's a high-control, authoritarian cult.

Been there, done that. Bought the T

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

Yes of course I agree with you both. I guess my point was lost. This Elder tried to appeal to what he saw as an example of absolute truth: proof in mathematics. The irony is that even mathematicians are reluctant to say something is totally true.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    one of the elders (who was an engineer) said once you've accepted a proof of Pythagorus' theorem you don't later start doubting that theorem.

Would have been worth mentioning that in this case, if the Watchtower convinces itself that something is truth, then there should be no need to change it. Yet, this is not what we see because the Watchtower has constantly found errors in things that it thought were absolute truth.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

Anything exercise that requires "faith" is not based in "truth" and demands proof.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Well its a silly analogy because comparing a mathematical formula, with a religious "proof" are simply not in the same universe.

Math can be proven. Religious studies are related to culture, bias, upbringing, pre-concieved ideas, geography, and in the case of JW's, a very specific narrative. Its not apples and oranges, its comparing apples and Subarus.

Also....I recall the bible disagreeing with them?

2 Cor 13:5

James 1:3

1 Thes 5:21

• Moster
    Moster

REDVIP2000

"Would have been worth mentioning that in this case, if the Watchtower convinces itself that something is truth, then there should be no need to change it. Yet, this is not what we see because the Watchtower has constantly found errors in things that it thought were absolute truth."

They are NOT errors, they are NEW LIGHT! They don't make mistakes, it is either our understanding of what they said that is incorrect, or they didn't have all the facts so the truth must be overlapping.

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I think what it is missing in the interpretation is that Math and Science are autocorrecting. Meaning that while it can make the wrong conclusions, it will not bias itself in an effort to stay the course while the Watchtower will go to extreme lengths to deny what is right in front of them.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    Once you've proved the truth to yourself you don't need to keep trying to disprove it

This is a Cultist tactic to ban the thinking process for the members.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit