Have you ever been on a congregation picnic?

by LostintheFog1999 42 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I've been 'out' for 20 years now but I remember plenty of 'get togethers' with other familes.

The problem with the edict not to announce these from the platform is that it just leads to cliques. You get half a dozen families and there always be one that doesn't get invited and then gets upset.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

For some reason, I read this thread heading as saying: “have you ever seen a congregation panic?” and expected an unusual story to follow. A couple of times it’s caught me now. 😂

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

The last congregational picnic I remember was about 1992. Watchtower had been actively discouraging them since the 80s if I remember correctly.

When we had a "fun" book study group/home I would organize some "unofficial" group activities in the 2000s. Some other elders would complain about us, however. lol. :)

• TD
    TD

Have the JW's cracked down on social gatherings more than once? My recollections are from the 60's..

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember a particular congregation picnic that might have been held in the ‘80s or so.

It was so-so. They may have meant well but there were still cliques. I had seen a friend who was walking around by herself. She said nobody was bothering with her and she ended up eating her ham and cheese sandwich by herself.

I don’t remember any picnics after this and I don’t know the exact reason or reasons they stopped.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had MASSIVE barbecues, with young folks from many other Congregations coming along, virtually all, young and old from ours turned up, better attendance than any Meeting ! about 150 people at the biggest ever one, 70 or 80 normally. This was in the late 70's, early 80's.

A Circuit.Overseer came and put a stop to such"large gatherings", which in fact was wise, we couldn't actually keep control if something really kicked off, but it never had. We also used to have Congregation Outings, hire a Coach,out for the day, usually they tried to give it some sort of vague validity, like visiting the British Museum, and going round the "bible bits".

Those things stopped too, a shame, they brought us all closer, the kids actually enjoyed them, mine were young at the time. But no, can't have you lot going out for the day on a Saturday, "What happens to Field Service ?".

Dumbed down, and very very dull it all is now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I can remember some good times. The concept of a get-together was well known.... never call it a party though . It was just in a home with food , chat , party games and stuff.

I recall some bigger congregation “does” in a hired hall with everyone, sometimes a couple of lads would play guitar and sing... That was back in the nineties. It use to be the thing also to invite ones to dinner and have a nice evening. Perhaps Covid stopped that ...If I was in it I would be saddened by that paragraph in the book stopping congregation socials . Such things drew us closer together

• Hopeless1
    Hopeless1

In the last couple of decades or so, congregation get togethers in large halls was usually depressing for the daughter and I.

Generally ended up us sitting together alone or with other ‘weak ones’, which considering I was working hard as a regular pioneer at time was difficult to understand?

Husband never used to attend with us, unless there was a bar he could stand behind!

However, in the 60’s and early 70’s before I was married and still young, there were some really great ‘get togethers’, football, cricket, concerts, films, theatre, as well as the usual parties!

Ah, - the good old days ! ! … ☺️

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i helped organise a few parties--back in the mid 60's,,in Birmingham UK. Normally after the circuit assembly finished on sunday afternoon--we put the word around the teenage element that there was to be a party at so and so's that evening.

things usually got well out of hand.

i heard that the following generations took it even further--with " get out of the truth" parties.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

I suspect that WTC prohibits Cong Picnics because Service Dept has a drawer full sex abuse reports that happened at Cong picnics. Shutting them down without actually saying why they are so dangerous should make the R&F ask why.

I recall as a child that after every picnic, my father had to deal with an immoral act committed during the event. Usually it was drinking, drups, smoking, consensual sex - but there was the occasional pedo incident that also occurred and it kept him up at night worrying. He didn't complain when WTC started shutting them down.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit