Have you ever gone back to a meeting out of curiosity?

by stuckinarut2 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Once, It was boring a real snooze fest, no young people plenty of seats to choose from, I left during the song, staying for the prayer would just be too unbearable.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

No, I don't like the vibe of KHs, plus, I'm becoming allergic to groupthink. I can't think of single reason to enter the "compound" again.

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

I am not even remotely interested. What would be the benefit? I wouldn't be able to handle putting on a fake smile while in attendance. They have caused me so much trauma. Just my 2 cents

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Sorry stuck I couldn`t think of anything more cringe worthy after being out for 25 years.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I'm becoming allergic to groupthink. I can't think of single reason to enter the "compound" again. - sparrowdown

This ^^^^^^^^^

• cofty
    cofty
    It's crazy never to go back. - SBF
    Take me with you! Are you going back to the meetings? I've been thinking about going back for good I have to admit it. Once you know the truth you can't shake it off. - SBF 14 days ago

What happened in the last fortnight?

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

I got out before the CLAM meetings began, and I'm a curious guy, so now and then I had this foolish thought of having a small taste of this new, fresh and improved midweek spiritual provision in another cong.

There is a reason I still haven't...the incredible boredom...even confirmed by many who are still in.

• SummerAngel
    SummerAngel

I get w hat you mean with this and yeah sometimes been curious but not enough to go. Last KH was for my brothers wedding 5 yrs back. Struck me how stilted it all was. No joy in the talk or music just 1 dreadful JW wedding song not allowed to deviate from set song or talk outline. The levels of control were unnecessary and ridiculous but no one in it could see it.

I've also noticed when I've occasionally collected my parents how the men automatically loosen their ties, remove jackets etc as they leave as if they've been forced to sit and behave and are now free. Its so shallow their so called spirituality lasts the 1.75 hrs of the meeting and not a moment more.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember a very funny incident.

i hadnt been near a kh for several years. i had recently re-married and my new wife was a bit curious about the cult--she had tried a study a few years before she met me.

anyway--there was a circuit assembly where we lived--and she wanted to go! so we went to the public talk--only prob--we went at 3:30--it had begun at 3. felt a bit silly walking in half way through--i knew i would be recognised..

after about 5 minutes she said to me--" is this it?--isnt there a service or hymns ?" i quietly explained it...so she decided she had had enough--and up she got! i sheepishly followed her out..

---------------------------------------------------------

some years later--one of her nephews was getting married in a KH--dunno how--very luke warm family. we were invited--and went L.O.L. that was over 20 years ago. never been since.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

I'd sooner stick needles in my eyes.

The caveat is memorial services for very close relatives.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit