Help/Advice on Birthday Present

by Phizzy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Hi everybody,

I have a very XJW type problem, I am invited to my Cousin's 70th Birthday Party, and really don't know what to buy him.

I only met him a couple of months ago, as my JW parents never encouraged the non-JW side of the family, so I don't know much about him, except that he is retired and his Hobby is sailing his boat.

I don't have contact details for his kids etc to ask them for ideas, so could you come up with something please ? Not too extravagant, I am a poor pensioner ! But, it is his 70th.

Thanks in advance for any tips !

• Tallon
    Tallon

Some businesses, such as bookstores etc, offer gift vouchers.

So, maybe give a gift voucher and let him use it to buy whatever he wants.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Are there any marine supply stores near you? They often have a small gift area. Maybe one of those mugs that keeps liquids hot or cold for 24 hours? They are always handy. Someone at the store may have another suggestion. Sailors often like practical gifts. My husband has a fetish for flashlights. Just make sure it has both white and red lenses. Red helps with night vision. Have fun!

• notalone
    notalone

I love to check out things on etsy. Just search for sailing, or boats. Amazon and ebay are also good, but ebay can take a while.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

My gift choices never work out so I've given up and given in to the gift card solution. OR a $20 in with the birthday card.

You just never know what people really would like. Sometimes they are saving up for something, and your $20 will help them get it.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Cash is king! Along with a humorous card, "hoping you'd use this cash to fuel your boat and continue enjoying life".

DY

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Everybody eats, often some sweets or a local favorite will do. Maybe a local alcohol if that's how he rolls. Don't be afraid to ask family for intel. Look him up on Facebook if he's on there. Tickets to a local movie theater work, like a gift pack thing. I could go on.

• Saethydd
    Saethydd

Some people who like boats also appreciate a nice ship in a bottle. Not a very personal gift, but it doesn't sound like you know them that well so it might be appropriate.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

A bottle of quality bourbon and a shot glass. Well done him making 70 and inviting you to celebrate.

• jaydee
    jaydee

Keep it traditional, the old favorites are always the best.

this idea has boats, and cake.

and at 70, He'll love it.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuPOVc-xI6U

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit