Update on sisters threatened with rape

by Xanthippe 12 Replies latest social current

• SecretSlaveClass
    SecretSlaveClass
    Great news. I love reading things with a positive message and outcome.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    When I first read this story it was already mentioned that the Indian gov had protective measures in place if anything like this happened if it did happen. - Ruby456

I think you misunderstand the situation in India. Amnesty have made it clear that the Indian Supreme Court have said that punishments meted out by village elders according to traditional rules in rural communities are illegal, but of course all laws have to be policed to be effective. The local police in this village are siding with the village elders and Amnesty have been trying to get the Supreme Court to put pressure on the police to enforce Indian law.

This has been accomplished with the weight of international interest - signing the petition by over 300,000 citizens of different countries and AI members writing to and emailing Indian politicians. All governments care how they are viewed internationally as this has financial implications for their countries.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

As for Amnesty being an example of Americans treating people in under - developed countries as inferior, again you show your ignorance. Amnesty International was created by a British lawyer who wanted to stop human rights abuses.

Amnesty International was founded in London in 1961, following the publication of the article "The Forgotten Prisoners" in The Observer 28 May 1961,[4] by the lawyer Peter Benenson. Amnesty draws attention to human rights abuses and campaigns for compliance with international laws and standards. It works to mobilise public opinion to put pressure on governments that let abuse take place.[3] The organisation was awarded the 1977 Nobel Peace Prize for its "campaign against torture,"[5] and the United Nations Prize in the Field of Human Rights in 1978.[6]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amnesty_International

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit