why celebrate xmas?

by enoughisenough 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Being married to a devout and sincere JW, there is no way that we would celebrate Christmas. That said, I have no desire to. The customs and traditions and the food are unappealing to me so I have no problem with sitting it out.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

I said this to a JW who is still friendly despite my "leaving the truth":

"If I went out into my street with a baseball bat and killed two people with it, would I be guilty of murder?"

The JW immediately said, "Yes, of course."

Then I said, "OK, but what if they were both religious terrorists who had swords and were trying to decapitate a neighbor's head?"

They then agreed with me that the authorities would find me innocent - due to my motives!

Whatever a person's motives are for celebrating Christmas or using pagan names for days/months of the year, or wearing a necktie, or enjoying all the aspects of a wedding which include a ceremony, white dress, veil, cake, etc., (all of which have pagan connections) it's entirely personal, and down to them.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    BB - The customs and traditions and the food are unappealing to me so I have no problem with sitting it out.

Me too.

....and can someone stop that bloody awful X-mas music on the radio without me having to turn it off?

No. I can't stand Michael bloody Buble singing off time and like a limp cabbage and people thinking he's great. NO! He's SH1T! And I wish Chris DiReah had darned well got home so he can shut his gob. Nor am I interested in some bloody alien coming to Earth for the b@stard 100th time. It's a song that is almost going somewhere but because of poor writing never gets to the high point. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

It really drives me insane.

When people say, 'Oh, I feel all 'Christmassy''. What are you on? Ritalin got to you ducky?

If any time of year makes me want to wipe chimpanzee pooh all over a supermarket and pee in the freezers, it's bleedin' Christmas.

WHY ARE PEOPLE SUCH SHEEP? ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

People are such sheep because they love being talked down to by the GB and patrionized as such as being compared to them.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Everyone has a unique home situation that affects what they can do but to see only the negative in a holiday that celebrates Peace on earth and goodwill toward men is just sad. If you are really unable to see the good in things like this you are a damaged human being IMO. Or maybe a grinch. Again because I hate typing, I'll repost from last month:

We host a fairly large international Xmas. It's a highlight of our year. If the ice is good, I clear an ice rink with lights around it, bond fire where we burn last year's tree. We feature the traditions of a different county every year. (almost blew myself up with Mexican fireworks last year) It means a lot to see friends and catch up. Everyone has a stocking that usually has trivial trinkets and candy. It takes effort but last year when my health was so uncertain I needed a little Norman Rockwell escape. It meant so much to have everyone come like every other year.

People are the reason for the season.

If you don't now have a friend to celebrate with, reach out to a workmate or distant family, you'd be surprised how good it feels to be welcomed.

• Queequeg
    Queequeg

Like peacefulpete said, for us, it's about the people.

When we first walked away from JW world, some of our first new friends decided that we needed some new traditions in our life. So, with them, we started an annual Christmas day hike and feast afterwards. There's no religious element to it, the majority of our friends are not religious. It's just an organized excuse for friends to get together and enjoy each other's company.

The hike is done rain or shine. We've done it in the snow, and during crazy winter storms.

Sometimes there are 15 or 16 of us for dinner, sometimes there are 30 plus. Sometimes dinner has a theme (like Southeast Asia etc.). No theme this year. I think I'm going to make homemade spaetzle x3. Alsatian style sauerkraut with spaetzle, fresh local seafood (salmon, crab, shrimp) mac and cheese spaetzle, and foraged wild mushroom (bolete, lobster, hedgehog, chanterelle) spaetzle in riesling cream sauce. My wife's making a yule log.

One year we had an Israeli and an Iranian cooking and laughing together in the kitchen.

Several years we had a local Indian chief guide our hike through tribal land.

This year, we're going to hike through the sand dunes that inspired Frank Herbert to write Dune.

For us, it's a reminder and an appreciation for the good people we have in our life since leaving our former social group.

• Sea Breeze
  • jhine
    jhine

Boogerman , what? A religious terrorist trying to hack off their neighbour's head would be found innocent!! In what universe ?

Jan

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Boogerman, I think your conclusion could be embraced by a Christian but your argument leaves, me like jnine said, what??? I think decapitating your neighbor while motivated as a religious terrorist is still a crime. What's not a crime is taking a special day to be kind and charitable.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    jan - A religious terrorist trying to hack off their neighbour's head would be found innocent!! In what universe ?

In the universe of grooming gang protector in chief, Kier Starmer?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit