Gay advice from the Governing Body

by Listener 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

It's a long way from the ranting and raving about "sodomites" at the district convention back in the day.

Genuine question - is it not true that same-sex attraction can be a phase for some young people?

• steve2
    steve2

Human sexuality and sexual responsiveness is far from straightforward. Interestingly, the word "phase" is used more often in relation to homosexuality and seldom in relation to heterosexuality. But why is that the case? Ah because heterosexuals decide how the language is framed.

In my early teen years I went through a heterosexual "phase" , experiencing and wanting to act on attraction to my female peers. Indeed my very first sexual contacts were with same-age girls, two of whom were "good" JWs (as was I a good JW boy.).

However, as I "matured" I was increasingly attracted to males. I had no clues about sexuality back then, but certainly by my 20s only the occasional woman interested me - and that was usually because they were chasing me.

Yet, every time I read anything about homosexuality, the word "phase" popped up. How come they never talked about heterosexuality being a phase for some?

No, the aim was to construe heterosexuality as a fixed orientation from which homosexuality was seen as a deviant departure that was not fixed and often a phase.

It has been convenient to frame a socially disapproved sexuality ss "just" a phase, but never to suggest going through a phase of dominant heterosexuality.

• cofty
    cofty
    So is that a yes?
  • Landy
    Landy
    Is it still classed as gay if it only goes in a little bit?
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

According to them you are not gay if you are attracted to the same sex - WTF?!

Ridiculous. Being (exclusively) attracted to the same sex is the very definition of being gay, even if individuals choose celibacy.

These fools should carry on talking, if only so governments can come down on them like a ton of bricks.

Pr1cks.

• Saltheart Foamfollower
    Saltheart Foamfollower

To quote Morrissey

"But Jesus hurt me
    When he deserted me, but
    I have forgiven Jesus
    For all the desire
    He placed in me when there's nothing
    I can do with this desire"

SF

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    Causing the rank and file to become homophobic maybe.
  • slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

From what I understand gay experimentation can be a phase for adolescents. Maybe more so for young women than men. But the way the Watchtower exploits this phenomenon is cynical. Sure some people are fluid at a certain age. But there are others who are sure they are gay and never change, not through any "fault" of their own, but just because that's how they find themselves.

I read it on the internet it must be true.

http://lovesujeiry.com/sex-intercourse/trends-sex-intercourse/experimentation-young-women-bisexual/

• cofty
    cofty

Daryl Bem's "Exotic Becomes Erotic Theory" of sexual orientation is interesting...

It seems to take account of the various influences...

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

For many JWs, having any sex is just a "phase". Typically, they're too busy with meetings, preaching, 'studying', and other cult busy-work, along with often working long hours at low wages, to have much time and energy left for sex.

There were plenty of JW couples I knew that I assumed they might still have somewhat active sex lives. But particularly after I became an elder, I learned about a lot of couples that were very unhappy about all kinds of sexual things... including accusations such as "He committed adultery in his heart. Maybe I can't divorce him, but I'm gonna act like we are." and "Maybe she has health problems and I do nothing to help her or be a romantic gentleman, but she should put out when I say so."

So should anybody be surprised that WT would tell homosexuals that this is a "phase" that they shouldn't act on? Heterosexuals are instructed by WT that their sexual desire is something they should "deaden" and deny, too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit